E9 Idle Adjustment

Hurley88E9

49 minutes ago, Hurley88E9 said:

I have an E9 that idles around 450RPM and I am wondering what is the proper adjustment procedure? I think the low idle rpm should be around 750, is that correct? Thanks

The idle screw is on the side of the injector pump where the throttle linkage comes out. The proper idle setting is 625rpm.

Josh

41 minutes ago, Hurley88E9 said:

I have an E9 that idles around 450RPM and I am wondering what is the proper adjustment procedure? I think the low idle rpm should be around 750, is that correct? Thanks

The idle should be 650RPM's for an E9. That said I just adjusted mine a week ago. I had a little issue with idle at 650 at start up and cold. Coming off the interstate and at temp it would be 500-550 and sometimes want to die at a traffic light for a few minute after. Turned the idle up to 725 cold and now 650 at operating temp.

The adjustment is the vertical screw, with lock nut under the throttle bellcrank on a inline pump. loose the locknut and turn the screw in contact with the bellcrank an 1/8-1/4 turn up and that will get you 75-150RPM. Retighten the locknut and done. Should be the same for a V-pump but I have to look on another engine to be sure. 

12 minutes ago, Hurley88E9 said:

I failed to mention this engine has a v style injection pump. Is the idle screw still by the throttle linkage?

Lol I thought of that after I posted. I was thinking V pump. Yes its on the side. 

Edited by Yoos Brothers Construction

11 minutes ago, AZB755V8 said:

The idle should be 650RPM's for an E9. That said I just adjusted mine a week ago. I had a little issue with idle at 650 at start up and cold. Coming off the interstate and at temp it would be 500-550 and sometimes want to die at a traffic light for a few minute after. Turned the idle up to 725 cold and now 650 at operating temp.

The adjustment is the vertical screw, with lock nut under the throttle bellcrank on a inline pump. loose the locknut and turn the screw in contact with the bellcrank an 1/8-1/4 turn up and that will get you 75-150RPM. Retighten the locknut and done. Should be the same for a V-pump but I have to look on another engine to be sure. 

I think its 650 for inline pump and 625 for v pump. All my v pumps are 625 and have no issues.

5 hours ago, Yoos Brothers Construction said:

I think its 650 for inline pump and 625 for v pump. All my v pumps are 625 and have no issues.

You are right on with the RPM's there is a difference which I did not realize until now. These are the tags of the two different pump engines. Timing is different by 5 degrees as well. I do run the inline pump with a few more degrees timing than tagged and it does run stronger.

Optimized-Vpump.thumb.JPG.4d934f80f628f65d5f8cd6ee621f6348.JPGOptimized-Inline.thumb.JPG.8dd5c40bd504ddad4d0dbea02131a1f5.JPG

• Like 1

Splitting hairs  guys 😉  however I shoot for 650 when I can get it, not a huge deal however I think they sound best at anywhere between 600 and 700! 

Also the straight pump has a twin pointer! valves set in a different spot than the timing !The timing is set on a different pointer

Edited by fjh

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, AZB755V8 said:

You are right on with the RPM's there is a difference which I did not realize until now. These are the tags of the two different pump engines. Timing is different by 5 degrees as well. I do run the inline pump with a few more degrees timing than tagged and it does run stronger.

Optimized-Vpump.thumb.JPG.4d934f80f628f65d5f8cd6ee621f6348.JPGOptimized-Inline.thumb.JPG.8dd5c40bd504ddad4d0dbea02131a1f5.JPG

We do the same on the inline pumps as well. We set the timing just the same as a V pump. Runs much more gooder!!!