Jake won't shut off

huggabean

I'm running a 1995 CL700 with an E7-400. Yesterday it developed a serious engine miss with  major power loss. After changing fuel filters and inspecting what I could, I took it to a local shop.

The mechanic discovered that the jake was staying on and disconnected it at the head. Truck works fine, but no jake of course. He said it was likely a shorted dash control switch, but I wondered why the miss would continue below 800 RPM where it always has automatically shut off if that were the problem. I re-connected the wires at the head and disconnected the switch, but the miss  was back. Then with the engine running (and missing) I disconnected the wires at the head. Removing the back wire made no difference, but when removed the front one the engine idled and revved normally. There was a noticeable arc when removing the front wire, but none when removing the back wire. Additionally leaving the back wire on, the front one off, and re-connecting the switch didn't activate the jake in any switch position. The engine harness looks very good and not oil soaked or chafed and the connectors are tight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ed