2007 CHN613 engine swap???

I currently own a 2007 chn613 that has an AC 380/410. I found a 2007 MP8 for sale. I had read that late in the 2007 build year, some CHs were fitted with egr-only MP8s. My question is this: if this is true, and the engine I found is an egr-only MP8, is it possible to swap in the 2007 MP8 in place of my AC 380? I've read numerous places that the MPs are better engines, and frankly, I'm tired of the turbo issues with my engine. Thanks for your feedback.

Edited by BidRedUgly
Additional information

Probably won't fit- The MP8 (Volvo engine) is longer than the Mack engine and they had to modify the firewall to fit it. While the tighter emissions standards took effect on January 1st of 2007 and the Mack engine couldn't meet them. I've seen early 2007's built in 2006 that had the Volvo engines but not the tighter 2007 emissions equipment, and I've heard of several 2007s like yours that still had the old Mack engine. So while you might be in luck with the newer cab that can accommodate the MP8, a 2008 engine is going to come with a pile of emissions equipment that will be a pain to transfer and make compatible with your truck.

• Thanks 1

We had a 2005 with the AC 427 engine, only 1 turbo around 800,000 miles replaced.  Just changed it when exhaust manifold gaskets starting leaking, don't like to run things till they blow up.  Sold truck at 1,200,000. We always used the factory rebuilt turbos thru mack and never had problems.  The turbo auctuator valve on the left side would leak air and was replaced a couple of times.  We did have some wiring connectors problems. The one at the charge air pipe gave problems till we cut the wires and solder them straight and tie them down good, when the fan would kick in it would blow wires around a lot.  I would buy a new AC engine over a MP8 any day,  to many injector cups on mp8 engine plus all the emission junk.   That truck was more reliable then MP98 we had.

• Thanks 1

I thought it seemed like a long shot. I'm on turbo number 4 since I bought the truck. It did fine for the first 8 months, then I got the "Utah curse". Without fail, going out to Utah (3 for 3) the turbo would start pushing oil out the turbine side which would exit the turbine/exhaust coupling. Then the nozzle position sensor code would pop, boost would fizzle (15-20 lbs), and she couldn't pull herself downhill. I suspect a blowby issue, but a Mack tech told me he never heard of a turbo going before front and rear seals due to excessive crankcase pressure. So, a trip to the dyno is in order. Good times!

Edited by BidRedUgly
Misspelling

• 2 years later...