99 Mack will not start without ether

My 99 CL 713  E7 350  will not start without ether.

A few squirts of ether and it starts.  Runs good.  Replaced the fuel filters.  Someone told me about a fuel check valve on side of the block.

So took it apart.  O ring was gone.  Thought great, found the problem.  Replaced check valve,  and fuel line from check valve to filters.

So went to start,  nothing.  Got to thinking.  Maybe the injectors were dripping instead of misting.  So it would not start.  But when running has enough fuel pressure to run.

Well, I have been wanting new injectors.  So put new injectors in.  Still nothing ??   But I do have great throttle response !  Let it run all day today.  Got home, shut it off.  Went to start it and still nothing.  Anybody have this problem ??

The engine was rebuilt at 350,000 miles.  It has 497,000 now.  So the engine is still fairly new.

What should I look at now ??   Any help is greatly appreciated !  Thank you.

Possibly the ground relay on the firewall. When trying to start, the relay pops open and you loose voltage to the eecu because either the relay is going bad/bad connection or the starter is drawing too much amperage/internal issue. Use a jumper cable to jump the ground relay terminals and see if it starts.

If it does start you need to check the starter. Remove the ground cables, measure resistance from the starter ground pole to a ground point on the block. You should have an open circuit, if you have resistance the starter is shorted out internally. 

• Like 1

Run a gauge in and test what your fuel pressure is at crank cycle. It can underperform at low RPM, but certainly not typical issue.

Do you mean to say you shut it off and immediately went to start it with no success?

If you had no oring it should have leaked constantly while running, sure you did not leave the o-ring in the bore?

Where would  the proper place be to check the fuel pressure ?    Also, would that be inline with a tee?  Or, dead end to the gauge?

Yes.  On trying to restart.  Turn the key off.  Turn the key on to start and the motor just spins over.  You would think the warm engine would refire.  But without ether it will not restart.

The motor spins over the same speed it did as before all this started.   This started about two weeks ago.

Air, Fuel and combustion.  It seems simple, but I do not understand why it will not start without starting fluid.

Is there something with the computer that controls starting?   Because once it starts.  The motor runs well all day from idle to top end.  Never misses, pulls good.

So that is why I am asking for help.  I can not understand what happened basically overnight.

Thank You !!

• 4 years later...