E-9 Allison

I did several years ago in an "MH" series cabover but it was not original to the truck. The owner/operator had it installed. It was out east in the Norfolk, VA/Hampton Roads area. Color was blue and silver with a lot of chrome and was pretty new at the time. This was about 1987.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Only place I have seen an E9 with Allison is a few semi sled pulling trucks in Ohio. The Sanders Pulling Trucks ran them. Talked to one guy that had an Allison, pulled it out and put an 18spd back in. I was interested in the trans for drag racing but no deal so it is still sitting somewhere. 

I don't think there was an Allison option for an E9 from Mack.

I acquired this guy this winter.. Have a notion to shove a 4560 in it , massage the engine with a nice twin turbo setup for my local "parts runner"... truck is heavy spec 65 rears 20 fronts in real nice shape... but has a 15 speed in it now... any thoughts  ??

IMG_20180108_103346859.jpg

IMG_20180108_103400789.jpg

"Any thoughts" 

There is nothing wrong with a good running E9-500 and a 15spd. Is there something wrong with your left foot and right hand. The only thing I can think of to do all that work for Allison conversion is to get out of shifting. Should be an RTO for a 15spd and they almost fall into each gear. 

As for twin turbos, take and run it as is. Being a Parts Runner and mostly unloaded there is more than enough power and fun to spare. No one is going to do turbo and fuel work for you these days but a very few for good money if at all.

A bigger single turbo, raised RPMs, timing, clutch and stuff that goes along with it is more than most guys can handle or drive train for that matter. If more than one driver is going to drive it don't even consider modifications. You will be running for more parts to fix it than you want. Emissions is not going to pass if that is a concern with added fuel and boost. Leave it alone and just keep it running and shifting right. You and it don't have anything to prove on the road. Don't think you will be able to sell it, when it is time, with and Allison and engine mods but only for a "play truck".

I have a Superliner and 18spd that was turned up good and have been turning it down little by little ever sense.

Just my thoughts,

• Like 1

I'm along the same lines as the prior post as those V8 engines, (which I have strong preference for) are a whole lot of dollars to work with when you need parts. I don't have any E-9 series but they are getting parts scarce and very expensive for parts you do find. I've been through this with an 866V8 having to have both liners, and pistons custom manufactured for the rebuild. Parts availability for the E-9 series are getting there too.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.