Hino wins ninth Dakar Rally

kscarbel2

Prime Mover Magazine  /  January 25, 2018

Hino Team Suguwara’s success in the Dakar Rally has continued with a record ninth consecutive class victory in the 2018 event.

After 15 days and 14 stages of competition, Hino Team Suguwara’s Car 2 delivered a stunning performance to win the highly-competitive Under 10-litre class and finish sixth overall.

Speaking at the finish line where he greeted the competitors, Hino Motors Chairman, Yasuhiko Ichihashi said:

“I am very happy that the team was able to fulfil their goal of winning their ninth straight win in the Under 10-litre Class."

Driver of Car 2, Teruhito Sugawara, enjoyed the challenges of the difficult course which traversed many areas he hadn’t previously raced in.

“This was the 20th Dakar Rally for me personally, and I'm glad that we were able to achieve the results that we aimed for," Sugawara said.

“I think we were able to make the best of our current potential so it was very satisfying in that respect too.”

Hino Australia National Marketing Manager, Dimitri Andreatidis, congratulated the team on its success:

“Sixth place against competitors with larger trucks is a significant achievement and one that we at Hino Australia are very proud of, especially as it is two places higher than last year. 

“The reliability of the Hino team once again shone through with a ninth consecutive class victory.”

Both of the Hino Dakar Rally 500 Series vehicles used an enhanced version of the Hino A09C 6 cylinder engine, which is available as an option in the 500 Series Wide Cab trucks in Australia.

The two 2018 Dakar Rally Hino trucks included the 8,866cm3 direct injection turbocharged and intercooled engine matched to a six-speed direct drive gearbox with secondary transmission, two-speed transfer and a part time all- wheel drive (AWD) feature in Car 1 and full time AWD in Car 2.

The 40th Dakar Rally finished on 20 January after 15 challenging days that saw competitors race through Peru, Bolivia and Argentina.

image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 3.jpg

• Like 1