Worst truck crash in recent memory!

BillyT

Just saw on the news a tractor trailer ran off the Chesapeake bay bridge! Apparently the driver survived the crash and climbed up on the tractor, but drowned when it went under,before help could arrive! Very sad situation! Possibly wind or icy roadway were a factor!

As the holiday approaches I recall KSBs recent post about e logs and hours of service in general! In 2006 every trucker working for a major company had pictures and text concerning the Crete carrier driver in north Florida who fell asleep and pushed a minivan into a school bus killing 6children and an infant and injuring at least 3 children in the bus! The driver was running from the Nestle Waters plant locally and returning home to Jacksonville Florida each day! I heard he had been awake for 46 hrs without any " legal sleep" Crete hired two well known lawyers to defend him.Nothing against Crete,always a well respected company!,but fairly obvious they knew after the court was done with him the wrongful death lawsuits would be filed against them! He got seven years in a plea bargain!Potential 85 yrs if he lost in court! He had obviously cheated on his logs which basically absolves Crete of wrongdoing! According to him he made the proverbial "one more run" because he was afraid of losing the local run that let him be home with his wife and three kids! Claimed Crete pushed him to take the extra run! We will never know! I've pulled water out of that facility, may have even talked to him! So he made the wrong decision for the right reasons! From all indications he was a good family man, and now his life is ruined and the families of those 7 children's lives are ruined no good outcome from this except to remind all our members who are out there the implications when you sign that falsified log what the worse  outcome could be! We've all cheated on our logs, I Damn sure have, but it's not worth it! Just my little safety message for us all have a safe forth of July!

• Like 1