Differences between a DM 600 series and U model tractor

The off set cab DM/U style is my favorite Mack because it was the first Mack I knew and the one that got me fascinated with Macks. It's tough appearance and  short snout reminded me of a bulldog. A matter of fact that same 1974 Mack DM still works very day in Jamaica and still has the original 237 engine and twin stick transmission.

What are the real differences between a DM 600 series tractor and U model because they look the same ( except for a few U models with a taller hood) but have different model line names?

I have read before that the DM stood for dumper/mixer but  why wasn't the tractor version just called a U model? I don't think I have seen a DM 600 series tractor in person but I have the model kit and have seen pictures. I would definitely love to have one at some time to take to shows.

The DM 6 series had a deeper "fish-belly" chassis and had taller heavier frame rails, Larger capacity rears 50,000lbs and up most with Camel Back suspension  and heavier capacity steer  up to 12,000 lbs. Cab and nose is the same unless the DM had the Steel nose with the butterfly hood.

DM Chassis specs second from bottom left page.

http://89 down mack 4_zpscks3mvcr.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:
It seems like the R and DM models cabs came out with curved or contoured back in the 73 or 74, however I still see U models from the late 70s with the 'flat back cabs'. Any reason why the U models kept the flat back cabs longer?

The u model retained the flat-back cab throughout its run. The original purpose of the u model was as short a BBC as possible. I would assume this is why Mack kept it short.

16 hours ago, Underdog said:

The u model retained the flat-back cab throughout its run. The original purpose of the u model was as short a BBC as possible. I would assume this is why Mack kept it short.

Makes sense. I always thought the curved back looked better on the short off set cab and wondered why.