Fault code help SPN 3556

Rockwell

Thank you very much Keffer , Inc! I have the truck in Mack now, I was afraid to keep running it, although it was running just fine. I'll post the outcome to hopefully  help others down the line. 

That's good info that you've experienced other codes that clear on their own. I tend to panic when I get a MIL light as I'm fearful imminent shut down or derate will soon follow. Don't like computers in trucks! 

Truck still in shop. Anyway, this is copy and pasted from repair estimate provided to me by Mack...

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON - CHECK & ADVISE - NEED
ESTIMATES
Parts: (1.0) INJECTOR (21089234)
Complaint:
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON -
Cause:
HOOK UP LAP TOP TO CHECK CODES. SPN3556FMI4
ACTIVE FOR 7TH INJECTOR CIRCUIT FAULT. PERFORM
GD CIRCUIT CHECKS TO FIND HIGH RESISTANCE IN 7TH
INJECTOR CONTROL CIRCUIT. ADVISE TO REPLACE 7TH
INJECTOR
Correction:
NEED TO REPLACE 7TH INJECTOR

I gotta tell ya, I like a clean environment as much as the next guy, but emissions stuff is ridiculous.  You wont choke to death breathing the air, but you'll financially choke to death paying for it!

My next truck is gonna be so old, the Smithsonian will be jealous! Wanna go back to the good ole days of trucks.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The 7th injector r/r = $1254.62

Now here`s where I really got stupid...:wacko:

When I dropped the truck off, i knew I had a leaking wheel seal so I said go ahead and fix that to...well turns out I had 2 leaking wheel seals. No worries, $650.72 bananas later, fixed.

And even greater stupidity....

I tell the shop manager (this is before any diagnosis) "Since you're going to be in the computer poking around anyway, can I get a few parameters changed?" ..."Sure!, what ya need?". Now at this point i'm assuming they just do this free as a courtesy, ya know they are in there anyway right, change a 1 to a 0, a 0 to a 1 in the settings...no big deal, and ya know Mack is so understanding of us working guys. Well...

Change max road speed to 80mph = $70.00
Allow idle ramp up using cruise controls = $210
Remove fuel bonus/penalty function = $000 I got this one FREE! :blah:

And wait! My stupidity doesn't end there...

"Hey, ya know what, while ya have it, charge the AC. It works fine but just isnt super cold"..."Sure thing! You got it!"

Charge AC = $331.80 :o (yes, charge only, no repair to AC)

My grand total, $2,711.71 and ONE FULL WEEK in the shop. Yup, I dropped it off on a Friday, and I never got it back until the following Friday.

And on SO MANY levels, I have only myself to blame, beginning with the purchase of a truck later than the year 2000. :pat:

Edited by Rockwell
  • Like 1