Kenworth T880

B MACK

I am curious of others opinion of the T880.   Last year the company put me in one of the brand new trucks. So heck yeah, I'll go for that.   I DO like it.  It is comfortable to drive, the power is good(525 cummins), 18 speed, the climate control is great, the wider roomy cab would be real nice for OTR but doesn't matter for construction.  I don't think that it is one of KW's better designs outside. The only grab handle on the outside is on the back of the cab, to get up on the deck. When getting in the cab there are two grab handles, one front and rear of door opening. But outside with door closed it is a pain to clean the mirrors and windows with nothing to grab onto.   Anyone else with same dislikes?

30 minutes ago, B MACK said:

The only grab handle on the outside is on the back of the cab, to get up on the deck. When getting in the cab there are two grab handles, one front and rear of door opening. But outside with door closed it is a pain to clean the mirrors and windows with nothing to grab onto.   

l drive a Volvo (not by choice) with the same set up. Have you driven your knee into the grab handle by the door hinges yet? What a PITA!  Hippy  

my only real gripe is very tall steps (2 instead of the macks 3) and wider turning radius than the T800 or any of the macks. but i only drove it 2 times. ours has a 550 with automatic trans. 

the new one will not be in for about two or three months, so once i get to run the new one regularly i will have a better idea. but from the few times i was in the 2016, it is a very nice truck to drive. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

6 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

l drive a Volvo (not by choice) with the same set up. Have you driven your knee into the grab handle by the door hinges yet? What a PITA!  Hippy  

No I haven't nailed my knee yet, I'll keep that in mind.  Thanks for the warning.