Australian Macks

I was just wondering why Mack Australia would offer more models than U.S? Is what shown on the U.S website it? No Cat or Cummins options.Check out the new Australian Superliner LT.

I started a similar post and I compleatly agree. The Superliner LT is a real beautiful model.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Guys

Mack has a factory in Brisbane and has been building trucks here for over 20 years to my knowledge. The Mack Titan is a very popular choice for road train work and heavy haulage. Both the Titan and the new Superliner are based on the US designs of course.

Trucks can be specced for city work, double and triple road train work and heavy haulage. Something like the Superliner can be specced for all 3 as you know, but would more likely be used for the long distance road train work.

Don't think pollution laws are less than the US, pretty much the same I reckon, we're conforming to Euro standards (as I type this there's an old Volvo F12 out my window with tri-axle flatbed trailer!)

Don't really know how to explain the range, it's always been like that! While we have the same dealers here as the US (except Peterbilt), we also have Scania, MAN and Mercedes so competition here might be a bit harder especially since the European trucks are also specced to Aussie conditions. KW always outsells everyone with Mack or Volvo running 2nd and 3rd.

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

You are right, ThaddeusW it is a beautiful model. I did'nt want to sound like a smart- arse (ass for you U.S blokes!) when I started the post but they are even better to drive. Best truck I've ever driven in 20 years, with a C-15 cat @ 550 18 spd.

Speaking of ranges, do you guys have Mack Footwear up there? Everything from sandals/reefs to office shoes and hiking boots to full on steel capped work boots. I own 6 pairs (sandals, office/dress shoes, hiking boots, 2 x slip on steel caps 1 x pair lace up steel caps for when I was driving the off highway Cat stuff).

The most comfortable footwear I have ever owned!

Cheers

Andy :mack1:

Whatever rubs your buddah.

The Mack E Model Registry - 103 entries
The Mack A Model Registry - 14 entries

I've always been impressed by the range of Macks offered in Australia too, and saddened that the much bigger market in the U.S hasn't been give so many options. I think some of the limited model range is the result of Renault's attempt to turn Mack into a commodity product, trying to push buyers into an CH conventional with outsourced cab, frame, axles, transmission, etc.... It got so bad that about the only Mack part on those "Macks" was the engine.

Fortunately Volvo seems to have some inkling of why Mack buyers buy Macks, and has kept the Mack axles, bogies, and transmissions in production. However, IMHO dropping the 800 series and all wheel drive models was a mistake, ceding this profitable market to Western Star without a fight. In view of Macks history of building locomotives, it is especially depressing to see that Mack has no competitor for Western Star's "Hi-Rail" railway maintainence truck.

But as long as my Volvo stock keeps appreciating I won't complain too much.