Castlemaine Truck Show 2016

kscarbel2

Owner/Driver  /  December 9, 2016

The best photos and coverage from Victoria's Castlemaine Truck Show held in November

The 2016 Castlemaine Truck Show proved once again why it is the premier Victorian truck show.

Held at the Campbell Creek recreation reserve on November 19-20, the show attracted a wide variety of trucks from brand new trucks, customised trucks, working trucks and vintage trucks.

One of the beauties of the show is its laid back atmosphere with many arriving on Friday afternoon and setting up camp for the weekend.

It’s a friendly and welcoming crowd with many regulars attending year after year. The Rotary Club has now held 28 truck shows and together with other local service clubs and organisations provided everything that is needed for a great weekend.

The winner of the Rig of the Day on Saturday was Troy McLean with his Kenworth T908.

Sunday is the big day commencing with a truckies’ breakfast and then the convoy through Castlemaine. The main street is lined with residents and the sounds of truck horns can be heard all over the district.

As crowd numbers grew, so did the intense heat when the sun came out, thankfully there were some cloudy patches during the day.

There were raffles over both days with a bar fridge on offer and an auction on Sunday afternoon.

The standard of presentation of trucks was excellent and as Castlemaine is known as a truck town, the American marquees had new trucks on display.

The winner of Truck of the Show was Leo Kelly and his impeccably restored W model Kenworth.

Once again Castlemaine put on a top show, it’s a big effort but the rewards are great with Rotary using the raised $9,965 to assist with valuable community causes.

Photo gallery - https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/events-news/1612/castlemaine-truck-show-2016

• Like 1

Family heirloom

Owner/Driver  /  December 12, 2016

Two polished Kenworths were among the best trucks to hit the Castlemaine Truck Show in 2016

Dion Pateras and Dom Greco were polishing their respective trucks when Owner//Driver caught up with them.

Dion had brought along a T950 with a 4.3 million kilometers (2.7 million miles) on the clock and Dom had brought a Kenworth T404ST both owned by Pateras Interstate Transport.

"Six to seven years ago, it was given a paint job but still has the original chassis, paint, diffs and drive guards," stated Dion.

"It is very straight and never been over. It doesn’t owe us anything. It’s a family heirloom, this one."

The T950 is one of 35 trucks in the Pateras fleet which is based in Werribee South. The Cummins N14 that sits under the bonnet has been changed over three times. The T950 is still running up to Brisbane and according to Dion is still going strong.

"It’s the one truck show that I make the effort for. I’d miss a day’s work to get to this show, it’s a great weekend!"

Photo gallery - https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/events-news/1612/castlemaine-truck-show-2016-1

Weekend Away

Owner/Driver  /  December 14, 201

Terry Leanne and Ally Cecil headed to the 2016 Castlemaine Truck Show for a break

"I’ve been coming here for 6-7 years," says Castlemaine Truck Show attendee Terry Leanne.

"It’s a good break and weekend away," grinned Terry. "I’m not entered in anything, we’ve just come for the weekend, a family weekend."

Terry’s Kenworth is a working truck and is kept busy hauling livestock and hay. The Kenworth is one of three trucks in the fleet that also includes a Kenworth Aerodyne and a little T350.

The T404 has a C15 Caterpillar under the bonnet and has done 1.7 million having had a rebuild at 1.5 million.

"It’s wearing the original paint and despite spending 40 per cent of its time on gravel roads.

"It’s 7km of gravel every morning and evening to get underway. I have owned it for eight years and it’s a beautiful truck.

"I am proud of my job and my rig so this weekend it a great chance to catch up with mates.

Photo gallery - https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/events-news/1612/castlemaine-truck-show-2016-2

• 1 month later...

Like father, like son

Owner/Driver  /  January 6, 2017

The winner of best rig over 14 years at the 2016 Castlemaine Truck Show was this T601

On Saturday evening, Paul and Dan Askew were still hard at work polishing their Kenworth T601.

Paul has owned the 601 for four years and had just finished restoring it from top to bottom. He did the chassis, engine, gearboxes and diffs.

"We did the whole lot," Paul says.

"It’s an old truck but we like the style. It’s got a 12-litre Detroit under the bonnet and we do local cartage around Melbourne and off the wharf."

Paul has been driving for 30 years and been an owner-driver for the last six.

This is the second truck that he has bought and it probably won’t be the last with his son Dan mad keen on them.

"He is just waiting to get his licence and then he will be behind the wheel," Paul says.

"This is the third year I have been here. It is a top weekend to come and have a few beers and chill out.

"It’s good to be involved in a great weekend with your mates and have a few drinks and the whole weekend raises money for good causes."

image 1.jpg

Family affair

Owner/Driver  /  January 4, 2017

The winner of best rigid at the 2016 Castlemaine Truck Show was the Doria's Dodge

The Doria’s operate five trucks full time and have a couple of spares. They had four trucks at the show, the newest being a T404 body truck and the oldest a 34 Dodge.

"We mainly cart fruit and vegies out of the markets and then we do some storage and distribution during the day," the Doria’s explained.

"We start at midnight and after they finish the market work, we distribute to farms."

The T404 was built in the Kenworth factory as a 14-palleter and it has a Cummins ISX 475hp engine.

"It has a bit of character to it! It was actually built for a subby that ran for Toll doing their late freight, running up and down to Sydney.

"From there, it went to Queensland and then to WA before we bought it. It’s a great truck and being so long gives an unbelievable ride, it’s an amazing truck to drive and is comfortable.

"Our colours have always been red but it is too good a condition to paint."

The whole family had come up for the show and they were looking forward to a great weekend.

Photo gallery - https://www.ownerdriver.com.au/events-news/1612/castlemaine-truck-show-2016-11

• Like 1