B model registry problem

Superdog called me couple weeks ago, couldn't hook up to "oldmacksrus.com" for the B registry. I got to thinking - I hadn't received any new entries for the registry for a long time. Barry Umberger in VA was the giant brain that was running the site.  Phone calls come back "disconnected or number has been changed". No replys to email. Now I'm wondering if something has happened to him. If anything new turns up, I'll holler.

I did all the registry in WORD 97 as a document - no special program. Now we got a problem - the newer computers can't open this so I can't send it to anybody with a newer computer. I had to pay extra $150 on this laptop to get MS Office just to work the registry. Superdog's daughter says I can scan the registry in paper form and transfer it to my laptop in PDF form. There are a bunch of pages to scan and try to get all in one file!

If anybody has any ideas on how I'm going to get out of this mess, please speak up. Probably best to send to my email - 2gannaways@mynewera.net - covered up in work and don't have a lot of time to check BMT site every night.

So, if anybody has B model serial numbers to put in registry, please send straight to me - 2 gannaways@mynewera.net - till we get something figured out.

Thanks from Ignorant Ridge

Tom  

Have you tried using "Open Office" to transfer the document? It is a no cost shareware program that mimics Office and I have found that it seems to be a lot better at going backwards to retrieve documents.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

fxfymn,

I don't have a clue what you are talking about. To be truthful, I don't have any business owning a computer, and I still don't have a smart phone. I'm pretty much still in the Fred Flintstone era - and kinda happy there. But for your suggestion, I open for some help if you are willing.

Thanks

Tom

Send me a PM; Open Office is a program that is basically a free version of Microsoft's Office. You can download it off of the internet and it will be able to use any documents that you created in an early version of Word and either offer you the opportunity to convert them and save them in a newer format or just be able to work with them and keep saving them in their current format.

Here is a link to the download site: http://download.cnet.com/Apache-OpenOffice/3000-18483_4-10263109.html

I'm not 100% sure this will solve the incompatibility issue, but it would be my first shot.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 2 months later...