E9 exhaust and turbo questions.

So Santa brought me some exhaust pieces for the Superliner, so now I've taken out the turbo and see the ugly silicone gobbed on the oil return line and was wondering if there should be some type of O-rings on it? And when I unbolted the turbo base plate there was on 2 bolts holding the base plate down as there was only 2 holes drilled and tapped and 3 bolt holes that are in the base plate (and one bolt of the two was broke which made the turbo move around a bit)post-19713-0-03686400-1451314298_thumb.j

post-19713-0-45837800-1451314447_thumb.j

Edited by oldsuperdog

There are 2 O-rings that go on the return tube and silicone sealer. What you have there is a little to much, looks like the whole tube of sealer.. The return tube fits down in the block about an inch and a half to 2 inches. That tube looks like it has seen better days and may need replaced.

There are only 2 bolts that hold the turbo manifold on. The third one maybe drilled in the manifold but the block is not drilled or tapped in all the E9's I have seen.

If you are reusing the manifold and/or turbo the mounting surfaces are alway warped and it is hard to get a good seal. Take a straight edge and see how bad. It is worth a few dollars to have a machine shop mill them flat again maybe .010-.015 off the surfaces. Also use a divided gasket not an open one like in the photo.

• Like 2

If you want to make some really nice power while the turbo is off call Antrim Diesel and get the Borg Warner S480 turbo and other parts to get it put on.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

If you want to make some really nice power while the turbo is off call Antrim Diesel and get the Borg Warner S480 turbo and other parts to get it put on.

Go big or go home, BW S500-91 turbo. Bigger money than a BW S480 though. At that point ,pump, injectors, heads, empty wallet...

• Like 2

Couple of broken bolts and price at the local dealer would require a second mortgage. Any suggestions on where to buy bolts?

Mack tell you $21 for the short and like $25 for the long? I said I didn't want the whole set, it was just for one bolt! They hit you $14 a piece for the 10 gaskets? I got the gaskets and no bolts. Bought a complete set of manifolds for $200 and had $200 in bolts thrown in the box at those prices, a real good deal...