SA logging business adds Scania V8s to fleet

kscarbel2

Prime Mover Magazine / December 10, 2015

South Australia-based logging company H&L Scheidl has added a group of 620 hp Scania V8-powered prime movers to its fleet.

According to H&L Scheidl, the Scania V8s have been popular with its drivers due to its comfortable cab and the Scania hydraulic retarder brake booster that provides fade-free stopping.

“I found the Scania to be very comfortable. In fact, I felt fresher when I got out after the shift than when I got in. The Scania is sure-footed in the forests and gives us great traction which means more safety,” said Jim Smith, H&L Scheidl operator.

Fellow H&L Scheidl driver, Dave Jones, agreed. “I have found the Scania Retarder to be absolutely brilliant. I pretty much only touch the service brakes right at the end of the braking cycle. I’m using the Retarder for about 85 per cent of the braking, and it really does make life easier especially on the fatigue side,” he said.

“Another Scania benefit is the visibility. Compared to a bonneted truck, the Scania has a really wide windscreen and none of those air cleaners or stacks intrudes into your vision, and it does make a big difference, especially in the forest, and at night, as well. The truck also has a really tight turning circle, too.”

According to H&L Scheidl, the 620 hp Scania V8 prime movers are being used to tow 44-tonnes of logs on Elphinstone designed and built logging trailers.

post-16320-0-49374200-1449734023_thumb.j