Engine Skip

Just picked up an "88" superliner with a 350 and she was weak on the #5 cylinder at the pump which is an APE and had it looked at. Took the top off and inner parts, then polished the surfaces which needed it and put it back together, but it still skipped, my pump man said we need to change the pump cam possibly . The heads were off and done and a new injector too before that. So hauling a load of hay the other day the skip went away? I'm not complaining, but how is this possible? What else might it have been? Tim

Just picked up an "88" superliner with a 350 and she was weak on the #5 cylinder at the pump which is an APE and had it looked at. Took the top off and inner parts, then polished the surfaces which needed it and put it back together, but it still skipped, my pump man said we need to change the pump cam possibly . The heads were off and done and a new injector too before that. So hauling a load of hay the other day the skip went away? I'm not complaining, but how is this possible? What else might it have been? Tim

It could have just needed "run". I've seen similar on several instances with engines that have spent a good deal of time unloaded. The first time they get to good working temperature, problems disappear, which sounds like your case.

Good cheap fix, don't you think?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

It could have just needed "run". I've seen similar on several instances with engines that have spent a good deal of time unloaded. The first time they get to good working temperature, problems disappear, which sounds like your case.

Good cheap fix, don't you think?

Rob

Well that could be because the truck only ran once a week less than 150 miles for the last few years. If it's fixed I'm a happy boy! Tim

Tim,

My quess is the delivery valve in the injection pump was not sealing properly..... after running it for an extended period it finnally sealed back up. if that was the case your injection line was bleeding fuel back into the pump and would not have enough fuel to "pop" the injector off right....

or one injector was "dirty" and leaking down causing the same effect.

By the way, I have a bosch pump on an early 80's 285 that would fit your engine (top end cab fire) pump and lines are good. turbo and tip turbine sustained damge. if your interested...

Chris

Tim,

My quess is the delivery valve in the injection pump was not sealing properly..... after running it for an extended period it finnally sealed back up. if that was the case your injection line was bleeding fuel back into the pump and would not have enough fuel to "pop" the injector off right....

or one injector was "dirty" and leaking down causing the same effect.

By the way, I have a bosch pump on an early 80's 285 that would fit your engine (top end cab fire) pump and lines are good. turbo and tip turbine sustained damge. if your interested...

Chris

Thanks again Chris for all your help. I'll keep it in mind about your pump. If I need one I'll be interested in it. Chris, any clean 4430's or 4440's around your area for sale? Thanks Tim

Thanks again Chris for all your help. I'll keep it in mind about your pump. If I need one I'll be interested in it. Chris, any clean 4430's or 4440's around your area for sale? Thanks Tim

Tim I just aquired an older 4230 with syncro 8 transmision, about 8543 hours, needs a little TLC in the shifter console. When going into the 6-8 area you have to fiddle with it to get into 6th 8th is fine. I think it just needs bushings or a good tightening and adjustment. This tractor will be $12,000 firm. I most likely will be correcting the shifting problem and listing it on Ebay.