My Truck Loves Me...

RowdyRebel

So I've been chasing air leaks for the past 3 weeks...changed several leaky lines, and no sooner do I get one replaced, 2 more start leaking :pat: Just about the time I get the last major leak fixed, I notice that the air compressor, which has been dumping a little oil into the air tank since I bought the truck, is starting to get reeeeeal slow building pressure. It still builds good pressure, it just takes a long time to get there...longer than usual. I made an appointment last week to get it in to the Mack dealer for a new air compressor today....first available time they could get me in. Yeah, it's a job I probably COULD have done myself, but I've helped change one before on a nearly identical Mack CH, and I would rather not try wrastlin' with that thing by myself....easier to just have the shop take care of it.

At any rate, I am backing into the driveway last night preparing to drop the trailer and get the truck ready to roll to the shop in the morning, when I hear a "thud" and the truck stops moving. I check...still in gear. Look out the rear window, and the drive shaft is spinning....but none of the tires. I'm thinking I either just busted an axle (but how? I'm empty, and was idling backwards on relatively smooth...but solid...ground) or the rear end that Mack just pulled all apart and re-sealed for me 3 weeks ago had let loose. I put the truck in neutral and got out to investigate...(sorry, pics are all after I pulled the shaft the rest of the way out....sun was going down)

These are the rear of the front drive axle...where the shaft comes out to go to the rear axle...

l_c3d1a4cc0cf945b6aa0d11a0edec48d2.jpg

l_2e32de57eaa2475895b7836c4759a904.jpg

Disconnected the shaft at the rear axle so I could finish getting parked...

l_db88f64eb80e4e179457dbd438469898.jpg

Strapped it to the catwalk...

l_a38f6e84f54245269188a68fe867543e.jpg

l_c21facb99c624d3d8ca9ece5db868db8.jpg

And got the truck ready to limp down to the Mack dealer to be fixed in the morning....

l_c769e387164a45f7b548ab3db9dd0c38.jpg

....good thing I already had shop time scheduled. Like I said, my truck must love me because if it was going to break, it couldn't have picked a better time. I had JUST got home and was in the process of parking it, so I was able to go inside and get some work clothes on before I got all covered in grease...and I was able to get myself cleaned up when I got done too. Couldn't have picked a better day either, because I was heading to Mack for the new air compressor this morning anyway....so they are fixing both.

I'm just not too sure I want to see the repair bill :wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Ahhhh, taking the "stripped splines approach" I see. Is this the rear axle they pulled apart to reseal? Did "they" have that yoke off to do the repair and reuse the same nut? Big No No if they did.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Ahhhh, taking the "stripped splines approach" I see. Is this the rear axle they pulled apart to reseal? Did "they" have that yoke off to do the repair and reuse the same nut? Big No No if they did.

Rob

Not sure what happened. I had dropped the truck off Labor Day weekend when I went out of town for a friend's wedding, and it was supposedly fixed when I got back. I'm just glad it held together until I got home....could have happened JUUUUUUUUST over the top of a narrow 2-lane road with no shoulder when I was fully loaded, in which case I would have been up a creek w/o a paddle. As it was, I was finished running for the day and was home...so I could put on some grungy clothes before I got down 'n dirty pulling the shaft. Also, I was idling in reverse...so when the short shaft dropped, it didn't tweak or break the yolk on the rear axle...all I had to do was pull the 4 bolts holding the u-joint and pull the shaft out....and I was home to clean the grease off my hands and clothes before I climbed back into the truck to move it again. ...and like I said, I was already scheduled to have the truck in the shop today.

Supposedly, they had to remove both drive shafts and both axle shafts...along with the 5th wheel...in order to lift the carrier off of the axle housing to clean and reseal it....so I would imagine they had that shaft out....but not sure to what extent, or whether they re-used parts they shouldn't have. I plan to argue a little about any labor/repair costs associated with the drive shaft repair.....they were the last ones to work on it...last to touch it...all I did was grease it when it came due. If they are unwilling to stand behind the work they do, I'll be looking for another shop to use.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

They did right by me as far as I'm concerned...no arguing necessary...didn't even TRY to charge me for parts or labor to re-fix the rear end...even knocked a bit off the price of the compressor too. :thumb:

Always enjoyable to hear a story end like this. We all make mistakes, we're human.

It's how we make it right that matters.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.