$4121.05 To Replace Head Gaskets?

So I had this topside coolant leak on my 673 ENT. I knew there was a freeze plug between the two heads which would necessitate pulling the heads, exhaust and cooling manufolds. Big job, so I sent it to Mack of Nashville. Sure enough it was the freeze plug. They gave me an initial estimate of $1500 but warned it could go higher. Well it took 2 weeks- they complained they received the wrong parts twice- and finally today they fax me the bill. I can't believe thet are asking $4121.05- which breaks down $ 1,031 Parts, $339 misc (probably the tow) and $2214.00 LABOR!! Even at $100 per shop hour- that means 22 hours to do the job. Anybody think this reasonable?? Anybody suggest any course of action other than to pay the bill?

Hi Dale,

I work in a Ford dealer, the way it sould work is, the truck should have been looked at by a tech, the tech makes an estimite, the estimite is presented to you and at that time you either decline the estimite or commit to the work. if you decline there would be a diagnostic charge to pay the tech for his work. If there was a problem YOU WOULD BE CONTACTED with another estimite, like broken bolts, or whatever. So, if there was no new estimite made I would only pay for the work you approved,

Fred

15 gears...no waiting!

well alots happened since my first post. I had the truck towed in- I never saw a printed estimate- Service mgr called me on phone with estimate.

Anyway today I asked for a itemized invoice-which they produced, It was evidentially the job from hell- head bolts were seized, valve guides worn, etc. And the exhaust manifold, cooling manifold0 allthat stuff had to come off. By still- 4 grand way outta the park/

So I dialed up Corporate Mack: Customer service- sent them a picture of the truck, told them what had happened, and sent them the 4 page invoice. I asked them to have their shop guy look it over- and if he thought it was reasonable- I'd pay the Mack dealer immediately.

Not 30 minutes passes- and I get a call from Mack. First thing the guy says is "I think I've found my new screen saver". (the pix in the BMT calendar). We smooze about the truck awhile- he agrees that the charge is too high- and he then turns it over to the District Service Manager for review. So, I think I'll just let Mack of Nashville keep the truck a few days longer and see what happens next.

BTW- Corporate Mack number is 800-866-1177

That sounds high, i had a loose valve seat in my 285hp 2 valve i bought a new remack head it cost me $451.00 ,i already had a head gasket, total for everything to replace one head myself was $571.81, all genuine mack parts, the parts man gave me a discount but it sounds high. Ron