Road Test: International 9800i - The Cabover in Brazil

kscarbel2

Transporte Mundial / July 14 15, 2015

Unlike what usually happens in the United States, whose greatest preference is for simpler trucks with manual transmissions, here in Brazil sophistication has gained more and more prominence.

To give you an idea, the number of tractors in recent years sold with intelligent automated manual transmissions (AMTs) has increased so much that most manufacturers now offer them as standard equipment.

The International 9800i is no exception. Though having an abundance of North American DNA, the specifications of the 9800i have been adapted to meet the demands of Brazilian operators.

Chief among them is the transmission Eaton UltraShift Plus AMT transmission, the only in the domestic market with 18 gears. Intelligent shift selection software uses changes in grade, weight and throttle to calculate the most efficient and effective shift points.

An Eaton FTSL-20112 fully synchronized 13-speed transmission (with 3 reverse gears) is available as an option.

The truck has a 6x2 configuration with ABS and traction control.

The engine is the traditional 10.8-liter 1,900 rpm 420 horsepower Cummins ISM.

SCR technology (Selective Catalytic Reduction) is utilized to meet our P7 (Euro-5) emissions requirements.

A two-stage Jacobs engine brake provides up to 395 braking horsepower, eliminating the need for a hydraulic retarder.

Aboard ship

If there is anything to report regarding the International 9800i, it is the greatness of the cab. Certainly in terms of space, the truckmaker chose to have the interior remain true to its American roots. Not endowed with the finesse of European brands, the 9800i is simpler, without so many embellishments, however, it is practical and functional, and provides the driver with a good working environment.

The 9800i has a high ceiling, and the bunk area has a full-size matteress.

What makes the 9800i unique amongst COEs is the cab’s aluminum construction, resulting in a lighter weight truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa5Qll2Ez-k

It's hard for me to accept that this kind of trucks are still build and sold.

I can't understand why someone would choose this over a Scania, Mercedes, Volvo etc.

The North American truck manufacturing and design is decades behind Europe's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk