B Model Questions

I am not very familiar with b models, so i have a few questions

First, what kind of horsepower #'s did they make and what was the engine displacement? What trannys were available?

This may sound dumb, but did they use a similar air brake system as modern trucks, like glad hands and such, and can b's be used with modern trailers?

What was the gvwr for a tandem axle b model?

I apologize for sounding like a newbie

Definitely go to the OldMacksRUs site for a ton of info.

In a nutshell, the B model Mack was among the "post war" improved

trucks. It was a new design and used air brake systems still in use today.

All the things you are familiar with are in the truck with the possible exception

of spring brakes (Maxi brakes), although many have been added to the old trucks.

There were two primary braking types available, wedge brakes and cam operated

"S" cam brakes. (Cam brakes are more desireable)

Power steering was an option, and quite often the trucks do not have it. Radial tires

certainly help that situation a lot.

As per Mack's reputation for toughness, the trucks typically were way overbuilt, oversprung,

and underpowered. What they lacked in raw torque and horsepower, they made up for with gears.

Transmissions in combinations up to 20 forward speeds were common. Rear end ratios typically in

the high 4.00's to mid 5.00's were most common, with ratios into the 9.00's on very heavy duty off

road trucks.

Truck drivers were definitely much smaller then, as the cabs are not exactly spacious. But they feel

like an old shoe. Very comfortable.

As for pulling modern trailers - why not? Depending on the job, you might consider more power.

It's pretty common for a later Maxidyne engine of some ilk to be retro-fit. Some folks think it's best

to swap the transmissions out also. I don't necessarily agree. "Drive it like you own it", and you shouldn't

have any issue.

The most common of the original diesels was a END673, which, depending on the year, made something aound

170 to 180 horsepower. A Dodge pick up with a Cummins makes a lot more than that! The same engine was turbo-

charged, which made it up to a whopping 250 hp. But - don't forget those gears. These old trucks moved an awful

lot of America, one load at a time.

This is an antique that you can use. It will turn heads and makes a great promotional tool for your business.

Guys here on this forum use the B models to pull race car haulers, lowboys, dump trucks and all sorts of

other uses. You just cannot lose sight of the fact that the newest B model was built about 43 years ago.

So - the message is - Jump in, the water's fine.

Paul Van Scott

Definitely go to the OldMacksRUs site for a ton of info.

In a nutshell, the B model Mack was among the "post war" improved

trucks. It was a new design and used air brake systems still in use today.

All the things you are familiar with are in the truck with the possible exception

of spring brakes (Maxi brakes), although many have been added to the old trucks.

There were two primary braking types available, wedge brakes and cam operated

"S" cam brakes. (Cam brakes are more desireable)

Power steering was an option, and quite often the trucks do not have it. Radial tires

certainly help that situation a lot.

As per Mack's reputation for toughness, the trucks typically were way overbuilt, oversprung,

and underpowered. What they lacked in raw torque and horsepower, they made up for with gears.

Transmissions in combinations up to 20 forward speeds were common. Rear end ratios typically in

the high 4.00's to mid 5.00's were most common, with ratios into the 9.00's on very heavy duty off

road trucks.

Truck drivers were definitely much smaller then, as the cabs are not exactly spacious. But they feel

like an old shoe. Very comfortable.

As for pulling modern trailers - why not? Depending on the job, you might consider more power.

It's pretty common for a later Maxidyne engine of some ilk to be retro-fit. Some folks think it's best

to swap the transmissions out also. I don't necessarily agree. "Drive it like you own it", and you shouldn't

have any issue.

The most common of the original diesels was a END673, which, depending on the year, made something aound

170 to 180 horsepower. A Dodge pick up with a Cummins makes a lot more than that! The same engine was turbo-

charged, which made it up to a whopping 250 hp. But - don't forget those gears. These old trucks moved an awful

lot of America, one load at a time.

This is an antique that you can use. It will turn heads and makes a great promotional tool for your business.

Guys here on this forum use the B models to pull race car haulers, lowboys, dump trucks and all sorts of

other uses. You just cannot lose sight of the fact that the newest B model was built about 43 years ago.

So - the message is - Jump in, the water's fine.

Paul Van Scott

And, if I may add my two cents, Paul is one of the very helpful people on the forum. I've got a very varied background of experiences, but diesel engines and the like are not among them. These guys are a real great asset to those of us trying to start out on a new venture. Rusty

Paul has it pretty much covered. Before Maxi brakes...it has a manual drum brake on the rear of tranny, thus the reason for wheel chock back in the day. Like mentioned, alot of trucks got converted over to spring brakes.

Tranny's: gasser's could have 5, but diesels went 10, 15, 20 spds. The 10 spd came as a two stick OR one stick(unishift) as the fist venture into air shifted compound box.

I don't think you'll find any over the road tractors rated for 80K like todays truck, but with only 200 hp available you couldn't put that kind of weight on it and get anywhere very fast. Most times they were only geared for 45 mph(max speed back in the day). I know alot of these trucks pulled more then 100K at times, but that was a very, very slow trip. I'd bet(without looking) most GCVW were around 50K or so.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"