Steering Wheel Howling

jzack

Just recently my steering wheel has started howling or whining during slow turns. Used to only do it when hitting the left or right lock. Can anyone tell me what causes this and if I should be concerned?

Thanks, Jeff.

Hey Jeff,

Sounds like the shaft has dried out, where there was once grafite around the shaft. You might try some grafite lubricant or squirt some oil around the shaft to let it seep inside. That is what the old school boys like me would try first. I have also tried WD40 spray. That is sometimes a great improvement. Hope one of these suggestions help. If not, it could get a little more difficult taking the steering coulmn loose.

mike :WELCOME::SMOKIE-RT:

Just recently my steering wheel has started howling or whining during slow turns. Used to only do it when hitting the left or right lock. Can anyone tell me what causes this and if I should be concerned?

Thanks, Jeff.

Grease any zerks on the stering first. If that does not help it could be that your low on PS fluid? if the pump cavatates the oil it may make a high pitch vibration that sounds like a howl? or the steering box is forcing the spindle to contact the stops and the pump is fighting the stops?

start with those

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually recently took the shaft out to replace both u-joints. On re-assembly I did grease all zerks and packed the slider mechanism. It's not low on PS fluid, however there is a small leak on top of the gearbox at the shaft input. I only need to add oil maybe every 2 or 3 months though.

Mike- are you talking about lubing the shaft on the coloumn right below the steering wheel? Maybe I'll try that.

Yes, That is what I would try. Let us Bull Dogs hear back from you.

mike

Today I put some graphite-oil in every nook and cranny of my steering column and wow, that made a big difference. There is still a little howling, but now its much quieter. :D

Thanks, Jeff.