What is a cheap and effective way to repair rust damage on the bottom of the door? Is it easier to replace the whole door or can the outer skin just be changed?

The least expensive and easiest way is to replace the door shell with a used unit. They are plentiful as many years fit. Depending on the year, the latch mechanism is the only real difference. Older units use a rotary type latch, later use a double pawl style latch. The cutover was 1979 to the double pawl. 1977 was the start of the cutover until existing stocks were depleted at the factory level.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The least expensive and easiest way is to replace the door shell with a used unit. They are plentiful as many years fit. Depending on the year, the latch mechanism is the only real difference. Older units use a rotary type latch, later use a double pawl style latch. The cutover was 1979 to the double pawl. 1977 was the start of the cutover until existing stocks were depleted at the factory level.

Rob

if its an R model, i looked at a new old stock door outer skin 2 days ago.

Regards Grant

if its an R model, i looked at a new old stock door outer skin 2 days ago.

Regards Grant

Put a lot of them on through the years. Much easier for the novice to replace the door shell complete. If incessant on replacing just the outer skin, make several measurements of the old skin to the inner shell before removal to ensure correct alignment upon welding the new skin to the structure.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yea ducky: it is a R and i was just figuring out how to fix them since both sides at the bottom are rusted.

I here ya! there is new door shells on ebay from a guy in Texas, have not got anything from him yet, but have had a couple of emails from him, he is helpfull

ebay number 110265592982

regards Grant