Potty Training A Mack

Gotta keep a close eye on my fluid levels in this thing...the front drive axle seemed to be leaking pretty bad, but when I looked closer, it was leaking where the drive shaft went into the rear end...seems there are some 5/8" 12-point bolts that weren't very tight...and since I've always preferred 6-point wrenches and sockets due to their decreased likelihood of rounding off rusty bolts, it took me 45 minutes digging through 6 different tool boxes before I FINALLY found a 12-point 5/8" wrench to put a cheater bar on to snug them up :blink: . That slowed the leaking...but it still drips a little. How difficult is that going to be to disconnect the driveshaft, unbolt that box/flange/whatever it is, and change that gasket? Probably going to be a project for my next day off...'till then, I'll just be keeping an eye on the fluid level.

...also seems to be using a little oil too...finding I'm needing to add a gallon every 3000-4000 miles. I don't SEE any leaks, so I'm assuming it is burning it. Would an overhead help this any? I bought the truck with 261K on it...has 272K now and 12k hours, and I don't have any idea what maintenance had been done before I bought it. :wacko:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Gotta keep a close eye on my fluid levels in this thing...the front drive axle seemed to be leaking pretty bad, but when I looked closer, it was leaking where the drive shaft went into the rear end...seems there are some 5/8" 12-point bolts that weren't very tight...and since I've always preferred 6-point wrenches and sockets due to their decreased likelihood of rounding off rusty bolts, it took me 45 minutes digging through 6 different tool boxes before I FINALLY found a 12-point 5/8" wrench to put a cheater bar on to snug them up :blink: . That slowed the leaking...but it still drips a little. How difficult is that going to be to disconnect the driveshaft, unbolt that box/flange/whatever it is, and change that gasket? Probably going to be a project for my next day off...'till then, I'll just be keeping an eye on the fluid level.

...also seems to be using a little oil too...finding I'm needing to add a gallon every 3000-4000 miles. I don't SEE any leaks, so I'm assuming it is burning it. Would an overhead help this any? I bought the truck with 261K on it...has 272K now and 12k hours, and I don't have any idea what maintenance had been done before I bought it. :wacko:

that big lump retains the pinion gear !Behind it are shims not a gasket!you need to pay good atention not to loose any shims! its are relitivly heavy peice be prepared to struggle some! remove it clean each shim wth a rotory wire brush cup or emery the shims both sides till they shine reassemble with a light film of sealant between each shim note the drain holes to the lh side the shims need to line up with the holes in the housing.

As for the oil burn check the air cleaner and inlet to the engine for oil could be coming from the compressor.

• 4 weeks later...

What sort of diff we talking here. And you said the back of the front diff??? If it's the flange on the back of a conventional front diff, you can pull it out a little and clean it up with spray solvent or degreaser and re-seal it with silicone. Just DON'T pull the shaft out too far, or you WILL drop the diff lock collar into the diff. We are talking 3/4 to an inch MAX movement here.