Rust Repair Sections

does any one know where i can get rust repair sections for an r model post 73 cab? i have found brand new doors, but he does not do other parts.

regards Grant

I have been unable to find acceptable "rust repair" sections for the cab corners of these trucks. I typically make them by hand myself. There was a company that produced them in Canada, but the consistency from part to part varied so I quit using them and I don't think they are still in business.

The rocker panels are simple to make with a little practice. I have not seen them available aftermarket anywhere at this point.

The aftermarket doors will have the older rotary latch punch out in them also. If your cab uses the later style "double pawl" style latch, you will have to modify the existing hole in the replacement door to fit your style of latch.

Fit and finish of the aftermarket doors vary greatly. Ensure, (before you purchase) the return policy of your chosen vendor. It can be expensive for shipping if things don't align and I've seen many that don't.

Another cheap word of advice: Hang that door on the truck bare before doing any modifications to it to ensure it fits the opening and smashes the gasket/seal correctly. If you modify it, it is yours.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The R model rocker panels are still available from Mack, I believe,

as well as the door sill plates. At least for the early style R cab.

But I haven't found any cab corners either.

Maybe we could get Rob to make up a dozen or so for sale?

Paul Van Scott

I've thought about that Paul. The labor hours expended to this would not be profitable but could be handled on a "case by case" basis. I thought about manufacturing a male, and female parting mould to stamp them out, but development costs are out of the question.

I went through this a few years back with steering wheels for B models. The development I acheived was about $7500.00 for the moulds. I have relatives that are injection moulders so I was going to get a "discounted" rate per piece, but it was still an unprofitable venture given the interest expressed from prospective purchasers. Like many, I couldn't afford to have 1500, (minimum) steering wheels for sale with no contract purchasers!

This is much the same that happened with Barry trying to get mudflaps for our use. There is just not enough volume to justify the costs of development and acquisition.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The last panel, (other than O.E.M.) I ordered for a Mack truck, (and returned) was from these folks several years ago. Nice people. Their product was not up to my standards, I guess. I made my own panels and have since.

Mack Rust Panels

Another company that used to sell panels was TABCO, someplace in Ohio. Back in September, 1987 I sent them a check in the amount of $20.00 for a rust repair panels catalog. I never got the catalog, nor a refund for the money despite mailing them a photocopy of the canceled check proving they were paid. I cannot recommend them for obvious reasons although they are still in business.

My son says I have a mind like a steel trap concerning these types of things.

Rob

Hi Guys, thankyou for your help, have been up north in a triple so sorry for the delay.

will ring gleeming, they have not responded to email. and check out the others. I can get steeing wheels restored easily, same process as they do on a GT can look into it and confirm???

regards Grant