E7 etech problem

dondiesel444

yesterday the truck ran fine. this morning I went out and started it, let it warm up 5-10 minutes, then went to leave the yard. right away I knew something was wrong, it was missing and had no power, acted like it was out of fuel. I made it maybe 100 yards and then it stalled. It started back up spitting and sputtering, then stalled. then it wouldn't start again, just crank and crank and crank.

I pulled the fuel filters, primary was full, secondary 3/4 full. put them back on. crank and cranked some more, but nothing.

finally I reluctantly gave it a shot of ether. it started right up, then stalled. it then started again and ran and idled fine. I worked the truck all day and it didn't miss a beat.

hopefully tomorrow morning it will be fine.

any idea what could have happened? thanks in advance!

First thing that pops in my head is the fuel transfer pump. Funny thing about those pumps is the gear will spin on the shaft and you loose fuel pressure. Next thing you know the gear catches and you have good fuel psi again and the engine runs great. If I suspect the transfer pump and fuel pressure looks ok, I'll pop off the 4 cover screws and check the condition of the pump gears. If you can turn the drive gear then you have a problem. Usual signs of a failing transfer pump is what you described, engine miss or stumble and white smoke.

ok thanks. so the fuel transfer pump is on the passenger side, on the backside the front cover, correct? there are I think 2 fuel lines going to it? looks like a couple of star head bolts hold it on? I just take the lines off, then the bolts out and the pump comes off so I can check the gears inside? thanks, this is my first etech I am used to mechanical Cats!

ok thanks. so the fuel transfer pump is on the passenger side, on the backside the front cover, correct? there are I think 2 fuel lines going to it? looks like a couple of star head bolts hold it on? I just take the lines off, then the bolts out and the pump comes off so I can check the gears inside? thanks, this is my first etech I am used to mechanical Cats!

Correct, the pump is mounted on the right side of the engine. The 4 screws are T27 hex . There are 2 possible problems, either the drive gear is spinning on the shaft or the pump gear is spinning on the splined shaft.