B61 Suspension

Thanks Glenn . I probably didn't state what i wanted to do accurately enough. I would like to know if i can swap the housings also. maybe the new housings will fit on the old springs? or the new housing and new springs will fit on the old beam. or finally (and least attractive option to me) maybe i can put the new beam and everything on an old trunion. i don't know if any of these option would work but i hope at least one will.

Thanks Glenn . I probably didn't state what i wanted to do accurately enough. I would like to know if i can swap the housings also. maybe the new housings will fit on the old springs? or the new housing and new springs will fit on the old beam. or finally (and least attractive option to me) maybe i can put the new beam and everything on an old trunion. i don't know if any of these option would work but i hope at least one will.

No, it's entirely incompatible.

Take out all the "heavy" parts, (which I assume you mean 55,000 lb camelback), then put in the entire 44,000 lb setup.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

55's 58's 65's i don't know how to tell the difference. but they are massive compared to 44's how would i go about switching the entire setup? the trunions look completely different to me( that is one is entirely in between the frame rails and one is not) i havn't yet measured it but i'am certain you just can't slide the new trunion up inside the triple rails on the b61.

55's 58's 65's i don't know how to tell the difference. but they are massive compared to 44's how would i go about switching the entire setup? the trunions look completely different to me( that is one is entirely in between the frame rails and one is not) i havn't yet measured it but i'am certain you just can't slide the new trunion up inside the triple rails on the b61.

The heavy type trunnion "legs" can be unbolted from the frame & removed sepearately, the trunnion crossmember between the frame rails could be cut in half with a torch and removed, however if you're going to install the stock 44,000 lb trunnion, it has to be slid inside the frame rails from the back.

That means that any crossmembers, dump body hinge, etc which are located at the rear of the frame must be removed in order to slide the trunnion in.

Check the inside to inside measurement of the frame rails and make sure it's the same as the width of the 44,000 trunnion stand at the mounting surfaces.

Or, you could buy one of these:

LINKS_35.jpg

It's an aftermarket trunnion which can be assembled in place between the frame rails. It doesn't need to be slid in from the rear of the frame.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Thats a good idea i think Stengel bros. sells those. i wonder how much they cost? I imagine those are spacers which allow you to install it without sliding it in from the back. and if they are i could probably mill them for the difference in width. the two inner rails on the 61 aren't as tall as the outer rail are they all like this? on all my other macks the rails fit tight against the outer. i hope this won't be an issue with fitting the trunion.