ford zf5

whitegold

lookin at buyin another pickup from a friend. runs and drives but 3rd and 5th and reverse are all a lil weird or loose I guess to explain. third is by far the worst tho. he thinks its a bent fork, I think it might be a shift tower.. any other oppinions?

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....

We have 3 Ford Superdutys with 5 speeds and powerstrokes and those ZF transmissions are junk. when you put it in reverse once in a while they come back out, same for 1-2 forward gears,it seems it doesn't go all the way in gear. I have seen a few like that, all 5 speeds. another thing is the E brake on back of transmission has a plug to check oil level in the E brake, those brakes are around 600 to 800 bucks.

Miles? Ever change fluids? They are set up with tapered bearings on the shafts and if they get loose it can get ugly. Had 91 F350 with 200k miles and it was junk. Have 95 with 150k and good shape.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Have a 95 with 75000 miles 97 with 200000 miles, 93 don't know miles, when ever you put it in reverse it will try to pop out then you put it back in it stays in, fluid changed often. I wish they still built trucks like they used to.

about 200k. I have 3 other trucks with the zf5 and everthing seems fine with them, besides my girlfriends pops outta reverse sometimes. third is the worst, just wondered if anyone had a clue on what it could be. thanks

THE MILKMAN DID IT.....