Freightliner adds options; Detroit marks DT12 milestone

kscarbel2

Truck News / March 31, 2014

Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA) set out three years ago to obtain “undisputed market leadership” in terms of market share and brand preference across its entire range of products. It’s getting closer to being able to declare that mission accomplished.

Speaking at the Mid-America Trucking Show, David Hames, general manager, marketing and strategy for DTNA, said Freightliner now commands the leading market share position in not only the Class 8 on-highway segment, but also the Class 6-7 medium-duty segment and, for the first time in 2013, the Classes 6-8 vocational market.

“We are well on our way of achieving that aspirational target of being undisputed market leader in the North American market,” Hames said.

DTNA announced at the show that its flagship Freightliner Cascadia continues to sell well, and adoption of its DT12 automated mechanical transmission has exceeded expectations. Hames said 17,000 DT12 transmissions have been sold since the product went into production a year ago.

Daimler announced at MATS new options for its Freightliner Cascadia, including: a ParkSmart HVAC system that starts the engine to recharge the batteries when necessary; a yellow B-pillar grab handle; a new 12.5K-rated leaf spring suspension; the Bendix AD-9SI air dryer; a bright finish aero mirror (for the Cascadia Evolution); flush-mounted LED lights; bulb-out detection; and a new day cab roof fairing that can improve fuel economy of Cascadia day cabs by up to 3.7%.

Freightliner also announced at the show its Cascadia natural gas-powered tractor with 48-inch sleeper has entered production. Customers can also get that truck with Meritor Wabco’s OnGuard collision safety system, when the truck is spec’d with a manual transmission.

And harnessing the power of social media (1.9 million truckers are on Facebook and another 300,000 on Twitter, Daimler revealed), Freightliner also enhanced its Team Run Smart online community with the addition of driver rewards. Participants in the online community, which now numbers 15,000 members, can earn miles for participation, which can then be redeemed for rewards.

Does Daimler include Western Star as part of being the leader in market share ? I live in Northeast,Penna.Western Star sells quite a few vocational and road tractors in my area. For Western Star supposedly being designed a Western Truck in my travels I saw more in the East than out west. Joe D.

Does Daimler include Western Star as part of being the leader in market share ? I live in Northeast,Penna.Western Star sells quite a few vocational and road tractors in my area. For Western Star supposedly being designed a Western Truck in my travels I saw more in the East than out west. Joe D.

Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA) includes Freightliner and Western Star (and Freightliner Custom Chassis, Thomas Built Bus and Detroit Diesel).

http://www.daimler-trucksnorthamerica.com/