41Chevy to the white courtesy phone...........

1958 F.W.D.

Hey I have a buddy who has a 1946 Dodge firetruck. He's on the job FDNY, lives in Hicksville. He's had cancer on and off ever since 9-11. He's doing pretty good now though, is on light duty driving a staff chief.

He wants to put an automatic into his toy. Truck has a 216. Any ideas off the top of your head of what kind of automatics he might be able to use? Would they mate to the bell housing or would he have to buy some kind of conversion plate or have one fabricated???? Is there anyone out on the Island that could do this work for him that will do quality work?

Any other thoughts appreciated!!!!

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Sure it isn't a 218 or a 250 six? Shouldn't be a problem, the basic block was in production until 1960 or 1961 when the slant 6 came out. They were equipped with 2 speed automatics but find one now.

There are a few adapters to do the conversions for the 1940's 50's Mopar passenger cars / light trucks to run a GM 4L80E 4 speed automatic which is heavy duty light medium truck. Low first gear and high overdrive. That makes it usable on the highway.

I'll need a few days to come up with a list of what he will need and where in the area he can find it. There is one performance Transmission shop I've uesd since the 70's for my Funnycar tranny / hot rod autos and F.D. Tournament rigs. They are in East Moriches that I would trust to do the swap and re program the shift points for the engine torque curve, rear gear ratio and truck weight. I'll call monday and talk to Frank and see all the options available.

Can you get me the truck weight and find out if there is any accessories driven of the trans. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Wilcap Company

P.O. Box 763 Pismo Beach CA 93448

(805) 481-7639

FAX (805) 481-9367

Chrysler, Dodge, Desoto & Plymouth Flathead 6 & 8 Cylinder Engine to Transmission Adapters

218, 230 ,250, CHRYSLER DODGE DESOTO TO CHEVROLET / GM AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS, TH350, TH400, TH700R4 (over drive), L460 and L480 ( heavy duty overdrive light truck)

230-350AT to Chevrolet Auto Trans with Chevrolet Bolt Pattern

230-350BOPAT to GM Auto with Cherolet, BOP (buick, olds, pontiac), or Uni-Case Bolt Pattern

post-3242-0-13438300-1392513639_thumb.jp

I'll find out who sells them on L.I. probably SK Speed. or it can boe ordered direct.

post-3242-0-45095500-1392513647.jpg

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Forgot to add, TheTH400 (Turbo Hydromatic) is probably the most inexpensive way to go but limits highway usage. The L480 is the same in the GM family pick ups and such but a unit is in the $2000 plus price range and needs a stand alone control module for it. Lokar shifter similar to what the truck has about $200 to 300., Trans cross member $35 to $55. trans cooler $25 to $50.. Drive shaft modified to GM yoke depends on one piece or two piece shaft and what trans is chosen. Misc cooler lines and fitting probably under $100. rest it time and labor.

Here is an example of the LOKAR Shifter. Looks almost factory.

post-3242-0-34662800-1392522941_thumb.jp

P.T.CHESHIRE