Air Pressure

lamountain1976

It seems like it takes awhile for pressure to build in the system. How long would you expect it to take for an older truck to build up pressure, and what could be causing the delay? I replaced the compressor and governor, the dryer and fixed several leaks.

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

Not too sure but a Freightshaker box truck I drove not too long ago took well over a minute, maybe three, to fill the system from empty at idle. Revving the engine helps get it up to pressure faster but it should still take about a minute.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

from 0 to 125 psi

takes my R model w/new compressor about 4-5 mim at low idle RPM

at high idle takes about 3-4 min

Yeah it seems to take about 5 minutes, less if I rev the engine. On the subject of idle, what is a good setting? I have to go by sound, because the RPM gage is not functional. And, I know many diesels have glow plugs, do these macks as well? And so do you have to wait in the "key on" position for a moment and then start? Because I wonder what kinds of things can make a truck easier to start in the winter?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

Yeah it seems to take about 5 minutes, less if I rev the engine.

That sounds just fine. The freightshaker I had didn't even have a wet tank, only two smaller air tanks for front and rear. Since you have a tandem and a trailer I am sure you have way bigger tanks.

Air starter :D :

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

That sounds just fine. The freightshaker I had didn't even have a wet tank, only two smaller air tanks for front and rear. Since you have a tandem and a trailer I am sure you have way bigger tanks.

Air starter :D :

Ha that was great. I definitely do not have an air starter, but I wish I did after hearing that. I do have a block heater, which is nice right now, but I usualy leave the truck on the job in the woods. So I guess I need to find a hell of a long extension cord...

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

It seems like it takes awhile for pressure to build in the system. How long would you expect it to take for an older truck to build up pressure, and what could be causing the delay? I replaced the compressor and governor, the dryer and fixed several leaks.

They do take a while mate, as everyone else has mentioned. One thing you can check though, if its an E6 engine, they have a steel pipe on the discharge side of the compressor, and it has 2 90 degree bends in it which are prone to building up with oil and gunk. This will restrict the flow in a big way. Ive cured this by running a flexible hose straight to the wet tank. It will probably have a flexible hose on it already that joins to the end of the steel pipe and it can be porous from being hot and with the sound of the engine running you will never hear it leaking. you can remove the hose from the compressor and hook it into a separate air supply and if it leaking you may hear it that way. See how you go mate. Cheers. Skip

They do take a while mate, as everyone else has mentioned. One thing you can check though, if its an E6 engine, they have a steel pipe on the discharge side of the compressor, and it has 2 90 degree bends in it which are prone to building up with oil and gunk. This will restrict the flow in a big way. Ive cured this by running a flexible hose straight to the wet tank. It will probably have a flexible hose on it already that joins to the end of the steel pipe and it can be porous from being hot and with the sound of the engine running you will never hear it leaking. you can remove the hose from the compressor and hook it into a separate air supply and if it leaking you may hear it that way. See how you go mate. Cheers. Skip

I didn't like that steel line either, the one that comes out of the block and into the compressor and carries coolant. So I ran a flexible, high pressure hydraulic hose when I replaced the compressor and governor. But maybe you are talking about a different line?

Justin LaMountain

Consulting Forester

and Horselogger

Green Man Forestry

I didn't like that steel line either, the one that comes out of the block and into the compressor and carries coolant. So I ran a flexible, high pressure hydraulic hose when I replaced the compressor and governor. But maybe you are talking about a different line?

That wasnt the line I was referring to mate but you're right, it can be a pain too. Every time you take it off you have to replace those thick orings. The line I was referring to is the discharge line that goes to the wet tank. They used to use a steel pipe and then it joined onto a flexible hose when some of the heat had gone out of the pipe. Cheers mate, Skip :mack1: