B 61 673 Shutterstat

HarryS

Had the shutters working fine until last week when they stopped closing. The air pressure seems strong to the shutterstat but from there to the shutter piston it seems weak. When I use shop air (120#) direct to the piston the shutters close and open. I removed the cap from the shutterstat and there is a screen and felt washer/filter. They both appear to be OK with no clogging. Is the shutterstat repairable? If not are replacements available. Thanks,

Harry

Had the shutters working fine until last week when they stopped closing. The air pressure seems strong to the shutterstat but from there to the shutter piston it seems weak. When I use shop air (120#) direct to the piston the shutters close and open. I removed the cap from the shutterstat and there is a screen and felt washer/filter. They both appear to be OK with no clogging. Is the shutterstat repairable? If not are replacements available. Thanks,

Harry

Hi Harry,

It can be repaired with a new rubber diaphram. Air will bypass it and not help shut the shutters. I went to a gasket-rubber company and matched it with what I had and it works fine. I used a small amount of vaseline when reinstalling it. You might want to clean the unit on the firewall if your truck has one. You will find a cotton wick inside of that unit.

Hope this helps you.

mike

How is the air line? Have you removed the output line and see if you get air pressure directly from the shutterstat? My original line was old enough and had clogged shut going to the shutters.. A coat hanger shoved through it enabled it to work til I got a new line.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"