1973 R Model Hub/Wheel Seal

FayettesFinest

My truck is leaking oil all over the wheel. I'm thinking it's a wheel seal, or hub seal if these even have them. I'm guessing it's a relatively simple task, but I'm just getting into working on big trucks, so I just wanted to see what I'm up against. Any feedback would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Being in the process of getting your CDL's is like sitting on death row...

I would just pull the axle out replace gasket and blue glue it real good.....be sure to top off the rearend and you should be good to go, but wait on others to reply also because I could possibly be missing something

This message was brought to you by Hargraves Potted Meat Product. Chopped full of "Peckers & Lips" since 1933 - John Boy & Billy

Check to see that hub is not overfilled, should be on outside ring of sight glass, check hub plug (soft rubber and vent hole not stop-up) if plastic sight hub it does get old and brittle ,subject to hairline cracks, it can be replaced with service kit. If replacing entire hub cap, wouldn't recommend no silicone on gasket, completely clean mating surfaces (no oil residue) and don't overfill.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback, guys! Now, I don't know if it matters or not, but it's what I think is the old style. The one that's shaped like a huge nut. Regardless, is this a rough job? Doesn't sound like it, but every time I think something is going to be an easy job, it turns into a disaster and a half...

Just curious if you are trying to make a living in this truck or just fooling around the farm? I cant imagine having a 1973 mack and not knowing much about working on them.. at least you will learn alot quick!!

Clean everything up with brake clean... then drive it down the road to pinpoint where its coming from.. if its the little button leaking in the center..you can buy those for like a dollar and keep on trucking. If its the sight glass then its cheaper just to look at the number on the hubcap and go to napa and get u a new one.

If you dont have a dollar for the button then soak it in brake fluid and it will soften and swell it up a tad and get you by for awhile.

Just curious if you are trying to make a living in this truck or just fooling around the farm? I cant imagine having a 1973 mack and not knowing much about working on them.. at least you will learn alot quick!!

Clean everything up with brake clean... then drive it down the road to pinpoint where its coming from.. if its the little button leaking in the center..you can buy those for like a dollar and keep on trucking. If its the sight glass then its cheaper just to look at the number on the hubcap and go to napa and get u a new one.

If you dont have a dollar for the button then soak it in brake fluid and it will soften and swell it up a tad and get you by for awhile.

My old man knows them in and out, but when I have a question I often get the "I'd have to look at it" response. I'm going to end up doing most of the work on it because he works 40-65 hours a week and I work 40-45 hours a week at the moment. So I'm getting batism by fire so to speak. I do my own work on my pickups and I work on some equipment at work so I'm mechanically inclined. But working on big trucks is just opening a new chapter.

Running this truck isn't going to be an every day affair. It's more of a specialty truck. My dad knows big wigs for a pipeline company and they said they'd put it to work once it's up and running, along with another gas company.