Engine Shuts Down

richyung601

My 97 Mack CH613 shuts down while at idle and going down road. I was told it's the ECM. This is a mechanical engine so there is no ECM on the motor only in the cab on the passenger side behind the kick panel. Just for diagnosing purposes I got a ECM out of another truck put hooked it up in my truck it runs until I turn the key back. It also will take the truck down the street it does not have full engine power and it's smokes but it does not shut off so I've came up with it's the ECM!!! Any suggestions? PLEASE HELP!!!

sorry just seen this. what i would do first is remove the tachometer sensor clean it and put back in. what it sounds like is happening is the tach sensor/tach issue may be putting the ECM in Derate mode, it is doing it because it senses the tach not working correct.

• Like 2

sorry just seen this. what i would do first is remove the tachometer sensor clean it and put back in. what it sounds like is happening is the tach sensor/tach issue may be putting the ECM in Derate mode, it is doing it because it senses the tach not working correct.

Thanks for the help where is the tach sensor located? Thank

I believe on this model it is still going to be screwed into the engine bell, you will see a pigtail plug going to it, if you unplug the plug you can screw the sensor out of the engine bell. when you remove clean the magnet and screw back in. look at the wiring where it goes into the sensor to see if look freyed or broken. this sensor will look identical to the speedo sensor which is located on the output of the transmission, and on some models was even the same part number. the flywheel serves as the toning ring for this sensor. a year or so after this they moved this sensor to the face of the engine bell rather than on the outside diameter of the engine bell. hope this helps..

• Like 1

I believe on this model it is still going to be screwed into the engine bell, you will see a pigtail plug going to it, if you unplug the plug you can screw the sensor out of the engine bell. when you remove clean the magnet and screw back in. look at the wiring where it goes into the sensor to see if look freyed or broken. this sensor will look identical to the speedo sensor which is located on the output of the transmission, and on some models was even the same part number. the flywheel serves as the toning ring for this sensor. a year or so after this they moved this sensor to the face of the engine bell rather than on the outside diameter of the engine bell. hope this helps..

This the same sensor that screws in at the fly wheel?

If the ECM wasn't sending a good signal to your econovance your engine timing would not work correctly , so yes

Hello Staxx thanks for all the help the truck is back running great does not cut off since the new ECM has be programmed and out in. Now I have a situation with my head light since the new ECM is in all the clearance lights comes on but my headlights does not come on. They will work when you press the flash to pass button so I know the lights work. I put a fuse in fuse 16 spot #16 the lights comes on but when I turn all the lights off with switch the head lights stays on. What could cause this?

Hello Staxx thanks for all the help the truck is back running great does not cut off since the new ECM has be programmed and out in. Now I have a situation with my head light since the new ECM is in all the clearance lights comes on but my headlights does not come on. They will work when you press the flash to pass button so I know the lights work. I put a fuse in fuse 16 spot #16 the lights comes on but when I turn all the lights off with switch the head lights stays on. What could cause this?

Sounds like a bad high beam switch

Matt

• 5 years later...

O8 mack chu  mp8 engine  yesterday  lost all  power and truck shut completely  down, all fluids  are full, dash shows circle with  x,it'll  start up runs for minute half then it's  like fuel  shuts  of,mediate  shut off,no spit and rudder can someone  help  me  out,in last 3 weeks  replaced  transmission, front rear end and exhaust baked and clean  someone  help  me please!!!!

20 hours ago, Mark Stanford said:

O8 mack chu  mp8 engine  yesterday  lost all  power and truck shut completely  down, all fluids  are full, dash shows circle with  x,it'll  start up runs for minute half then it's  like fuel  shuts  of,mediate  shut off,no spit and rudder can someone  help  me  out,in last 3 weeks  replaced  transmission, front rear end and exhaust baked and clean  someone  help  me please!!!!