Brown-Lippe Clutch

fxfymn

Anyone have any experience with a multi-pack Brown-Lippe clutch circa 1932? The clutch appears to be in good shape, but the discs are not completely stopping when the pedal is depressed. This makes it damn near impossible to shift.

Is there supposed to be a clutch brake on it? Is there an internal adjustment or is it just a pedal adjustment?

Thanks for any input.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

• 3 weeks later...

File this in the "life is strange" category. I never had to work on one of these, but in the past two weeks I have dealt with two of them. Basically, they are multi- disc clutches that run inside a cage bolted to the flywheel. If anyone ever looks up this thread to get info. feel free to PM me to pick my feeble brain on what I learned.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks. We got it apart and figured out what was going on.

Basically, the clutch discs would not stop spinning even though the pedal was depressed and the discs had free space between them, so it was impossible to shift. The throw out bearing could not push the discs far enough to get ample clearance, nor did it go far enough to activate the clutch brake.

There is a washer that the discs sit on that provides adjustment by increasing or decreasing it's thickness. You must dis-assemble the clutch, place the right thickness washer in it, and re-assemble.