Jake Brakes

:SMOKIE-LFT:

Hi all;

I was looking at an old book about the history of Trucking recently and I read something about :mack1: trucks with gas engines in the 1930's and 1940's being available with Jake Brakes;does this sound correct to you,or is it possible to install a Jake on a gas engine at all? I'm pretty sure it wasn't a mis-print (I'll go back and re-read it to be sure) because the author even mentioned how helpful it was for drivers going down steep grades with heavy loads and low powered gas engines of the day. Any information or opinions offered would be greatly appreciated;I'm wondering if a kit was available to fit a Jake Brake to my ol' EN354.

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

Here it is-I was wrong about the era that was mentioned;it was specifically the logging trucks of the '60's. The book is "SEMI-TRUCKCOLOR HISTORY"by Stan Holtzman. On page 84,he writes,"Ask any veteran trucker what the greatest invention has been for Trucking,though,and most will credit the engine brake,or 'Jake' brake,so-named after the company that invented it in 1961,Jacobs Manufacturing. Their allegiance is well founded,too,when you consider the fear and horror that must go through the mind of a log hauler going downhill with 76,000 gross vehicle weight,without anything to stop them except the lowest of gears in their underpowered'gas jobs.'"

I KNEW I'd read it right!!

Okay,folks-what can ya tell me;is this something provable,or just bad research information?

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

here's my opion on that speed, the jake came out in 61 and the diesels were taking over in that time frame and i don't believe there was ever a jake for a gas engine. They don't have enough compression to make it work. If you put one on a gas engine it really would not hold back enough to help you out. The jake took off after the diesels were taking over the trucking industry. We first had the diesel engine then we had the compression brake for the diesel engine. I had to read it twice to really get what he was trying to say... i believe hes trying to make a statement instead of saying they put a engine brake on a gas job. The jake brake on a diesel made a driver feel a lot more confidence going down that hill loaded instead of in a gas job in low gear with no engine breaking..I believe thats what he was trying to say... someone correct me if i am wrong about all this.

here's my opion on that speed, the jake came out in 61 and the diesels were taking over in that time frame and i don't believe there was ever a jake for a gas engine. They don't have enough compression to make it work. If you put one on a gas engine it really would not hold back enough to help you out. The jake took off after the diesels were taking over the trucking industry. We first had the diesel engine then we had the compression brake for the diesel engine. I had to read it twice to really get what he was trying to say... i believe hes trying to make a statement instead of saying they put a engine brake on a gas job. The jake brake on a diesel made a driver feel a lot more confidence going down that hill loaded instead of in a gas job in low gear with no engine breaking..I believe thats what he was trying to say... someone correct me if i am wrong about all this.

You're probably right;

It might be possible to install a system like it on a gas engine,but it'd take high compression and,I'd guess,a change in ignition timing,to make it work.and that'd be marginal at best. Just wanted to see if it ever was an option;we see evidence every day of things that seemed like a good idea at the time but didn't work all that great in practice. Thanks for the replies! :thumb:

Speed

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>