74 R Model Cabs

I have a 74 r model with around a 80's cab on it. Cab is getting in rough shape and i was thinking about swapping the cab to an original 74 if i could find one in solid condition. My question is i know the 74 front cab mounts are different than the newer cabs but i always thought until around 74 they also had the flatter backed cabs ? I have been searching the internet here looking at cabs that are suppose to be 74 models but the back panel is made just like the newer cabs. I am now confused because i thought the 74 had the flat back cab.. anyone know ?? and if they don't have the flat back cab as i call it what year did they quit making them ?

I have a 74 r model with around a 80's cab on it. Cab is getting in rough shape and i was thinking about swapping the cab to an original 74 if i could find one in solid condition. My question is i know the 74 front cab mounts are different than the newer cabs but i always thought until around 74 they also had the flatter backed cabs ? I have been searching the internet here looking at cabs that are suppose to be 74 models but the back panel is made just like the newer cabs. I am now confused because i thought the 74 had the flat back cab.. anyone know ?? and if they don't have the flat back cab as i call it what year did they quit making them ?

1972 was the end of the smaller, or flat back cab. The 1973 model year trucks had three inches added to the rear cab panel. They also went from the small B series grab handle, to the longer grab handle on the part of the cab that wraps around to the cab rear. 1972 was also the last year for the metal dash. 1973 and newer cabs had the padded dash.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Rob you really helped me out on that one. for some reason i was thinking they made the flat back cabs until 74. How about the Cab mounts mine has cab bushings on the front made like the round transmission mounts. I was told it was a 80's model cab but maybe it really is a older cab. the mounts on the 74 is different than my 77 and 79 model.

Thanks Rob you really helped me out on that one. for some reason i was thinking they made the flat back cabs until 74. How about the Cab mounts mine has cab bushings on the front made like the round transmission mounts. I was told it was a 80's model cab but maybe it really is a older cab. the mounts on the 74 is different than my 77 and 79 model.

If your cab has, (or had) an air ride setup, it could be different. Most times if a cab has air ride, the cowl area where the hood rests against has rollers instead of landing pads for the closed hood to rest upon.

My 72 R model uses the same cab mounting style that my 77, and 78 R models use; That is a round bushing surrounding a pin bracket that would let the cab rock fore and aft on the bushings if the rear cab mount was air cushioned.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Thanks Rob and mackattack.. My 77 and 79 model uses the same kind of cab mounts as your trucks do rob. the round bushing on the pin that would let the cab rock on them if it was air ride , although non of my cabs are air ride. My 74 don't it mounts just like you would mount a transmission bushing. bushing on top and bottom and a bolt through the middle. This setup surely was never made to be an airride. I have only saw one other truck that had bushings like my 74 and it was a late 60's early 70's truck don't know the exact year of it. I always thought it was just a year model thing on which style they had but if you say your 72 don't mount like my 74 then i don't know. I do know this truck did come this way from the factory cause the brackets on the frame has never been changed only the cab. They found a cab to fit the mounts on the frame was all they done.