Assembly of Exhaust Manifold

johnmcm

I have a 2000 Mack with an E7 engine. I have a new three piece exhaust manifold. Does anyone know if there is a joint or assembly compound or sealant that should be used between the three pieces or should they be put together dry ?

Years ago when they would leak and right new we would pull them apart and put NAPA exhaust sealant around the joint and slide them in, be careful not to get excessive amounts in the manifold, but the last 4 or 5 we put on that came from Mack we just put them on dry but before we tighten the nuts up we knock the manifolds together tight and we not had any leaks.

I just put mine together dry.

Add a dab of high heat RTV to the studs before installing again.

I remember hearing that you should install new studs and make sure you have 1-3/4 inch showing

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

I just put mine together dry.

Add a dab of high heat RTV to the studs before installing again.

I remember hearing that you should install new studs and make sure you have 1-3/4 inch showing

Hat! You grew a beard. Isn't it a little warm in FL to be growing a beard...or can't you afford a razor? :tease:

Sorry for hijaking the thread.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"