exhaust manifold gasket

Doffer

Ok, so I got another new (to me) the middle of this week and it also has a bad exhaust gasket. The Gasket that is bad is the one that is towards the alternator.

Is there any way I can change the gasket without removing the entire turbo / manifold assembly? Like just remove the studs/nuts, alternator and slide it forward to remove it ?

Its on a 2004 Mack MR688S cab-over

No, you would have to remove the entire exhaust manifold to replace the gasket. You wouldnt be able to slide the front piece of the manifold back into place with out damaging the new gaskets. Removing the manifold is easy, assuming none of the studs break. The alternator should be on the left side of the engine, maybe you're looking at the ac compressor? Ive never seen the alt on the right side. Replace all the studs too, and remember to seal the bottoms studs with silicone, if you dont they will leak oil. The bottom stud holes have oil passages in them.

Challenger- I know on an E-7, the studs have to be a certain minimum out. Is this true with this motor?

I believe it was 1+3/4 inch showing on the stud.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Yeah stupid me.. wasn't thinking, its the AC compressor.

Thanks for the info. Just have to slow down a few days to get at it. How long should this take? I have torches and tools to complete the job

First time, not rushing, just kind of cruising, 5-8 hours. No broken studs

Experienced 3-4 hours. No broken studs

I like to replace all the injectors lines, new ones never to seem to leak for me. If you reuse them, mark them and put them back in the same cylinder. Cover up the EUPs, you dont want to get any dirt in them once you remove the injector lines.

No, you would have to remove the entire exhaust manifold to replace the gasket. You wouldnt be able to slide the front piece of the manifold back into place with out damaging the new gaskets. Removing the manifold is easy, assuming none of the studs break. The alternator should be on the left side of the engine, maybe you're looking at the ac compressor? Ive never seen the alt on the right side. Replace all the studs too, and remember to seal the bottoms studs with silicone, if you dont they will leak oil. The bottom stud holes have oil passages in them.

E9 alternators are on the right side. Lol! I'm not being a jerk it was just funny to me after a discussion earlier today.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"