Help Please! Was running perfect now wont fire!

Supposed to take my truck for a safety on monday coming. I am not that mechanical but have been working on it all winter outside with any spare time i have during daylight and have learned a lot and have an ever growing list of new parts and a much smaller wallet. I test drove it Tuesday quite a bit. It was running great i couldn't be happier. Wednesday morning I decided to take it to speedy to install my windshield.( Feeling kinda guilt not tackling the job myself) Wendnesday night i went to start it and warm it up for a bit cause it can still get real cold here and i want to make sure she started in the morning. It almost started but fluttered and died when i stopped giving it gas. after that it just turned then after that just clicked. i knew my starter was on the way out so got out the visa and bought a new one yesterday and installed it. boosted my batteries off my buddies gravel truck and tried to start it spins fast now still wont fire. It was running perfect just before this im thinking theres a simple reason. Checked my tanks they were not empty but very low. Maybe i sucked up some air then shut it off? Does that seam realistic? i put some more diesel in. i made sure the line from the tank to the filter was clear by blowing in it it bubbled in the tank then i filled the line back with diesel. took off the filters and put new ones on filled to the top with diesel. still wont fire. tried cracking an injector but dont really know what im doing. started with the on farthest from the firewall nothing came out. got a trickle coming out the two closest to the firewall and some tiny bubbles. im new where i am living so i only know a couple people and there away this week so im just turning it the getting out and looking . From what im saying do you guys think i just have air in the system. Is there an easy way for me to purge it? its a 76 rmodel. i know my bosses stearling has run out before and he had to crack the injectors in a certain sequence. Help please my puppy's laying there in a coma.I'm so devestated

I just went thru a similar situation on my B...died while running...thought it needed new filters....new ones did not help, ended up with a new pump, took a LONG time to get the air out of the system! Even with the new pump it would not self prime out of a bucket! I blew air (light pressure) into the tank until I had fuel at the pump...still didnt get it! I must not have gotten the pump full! Long story short, I made a funnel/hose setup directly into the pump and filled it up...fired right up, kept pouring fuel in untill it got warm...shut it down, filled the lines again (blowing air into the tank), hooked everything back up and has been runing great since!

If you try this, only put 5 or so pounds of air in the the fuel tank...I used a blow down tip cupped my hand to regulate the pressurization of the tank...

If I ever did it again, I would take the line after the secondary filter (at the pump) and fill the system up with air in the tank...air in the system made mine very hard to start!

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou. I got her going =) at first the starting fluid did nothing then i cracked each injector one at a time. Nothing was coming out but kinda sounded different each time. then when i felt so hopeless i got pissed and sprayed a bunch of fluid in the air filter ran in the cab as quick as i could and it let out a few gigantic clouds of smoke then was just idling good as ever like nothing ever happened. If it wasn't for border security i would be driving the mighty Mack to pa tonight to buy you a drink macktrucks4! I was wondering if it was possible to blow air into the tank and push fuel into the system so that's very interesting . I plan on putting a bunch of fuel in it and not letting this happen again but out of curiosity how do you put the air in the tank. through the the fill cap? Is there a proper way to purge everything like if it was at a shop and they worked on the pump wouldn't they have to do something similar?

• Like 1

I just went through this with a friends 06 Granite, put super flow injectors in the truck would not fire, ether was the only thing that got it going. Not crazy about using it on a every day use but sometimes you do what you got to do. A little trick is to open the passenger door and spray into the air cleaner through the crack in the door opening, better than running around the truck.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou. I got her going =) at first the starting fluid did nothing then i cracked each injector one at a time. Nothing was coming out but kinda sounded different each time. then when i felt so hopeless i got pissed and sprayed a bunch of fluid in the air filter ran in the cab as quick as i could and it let out a few gigantic clouds of smoke then was just idling good as ever like nothing ever happened. If it wasn't for border security i would be driving the mighty Mack to pa tonight to buy you a drink macktrucks4! I was wondering if it was possible to blow air into the tank and push fuel into the system so that's very interesting . I plan on putting a bunch of fuel in it and not letting this happen again but out of curiosity how do you put the air in the tank. through the the fill cap? Is there a proper way to purge everything like if it was at a shop and they worked on the pump wouldn't they have to do something similar?

l get the shop air line and use an wrap a towel around the end and the filler hole and blow the air in, don't over do it, i know it is not recommend for newer trucks, it doesn't take much time and air to pressurize the system. Good luck and keep more fuel in there. Try to park on level ground so it doesn't run to one tank, yours should be drawing off the right tank.

i took an old fuel cap and drilled a hole and put a tire valve in it, then used it on the trucks after fiter change was quick and easy

only use ether as a last resort I have seen engines get addicted to it and only start even on the hottest days with a shot, on an old dd I used rarley except when it seemed to be 40 below if it would not start I would pop the air filter out and heat it with a propane torch for a couple minutes then turn the flame off and let it leak propane in and it would fire up, I was nervous to use ether on the old engine.

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."