Cdl And Drivers Licenses

I have a questions regarding CDLs. Since I live in Penns. I would be most interested in info from PA members.

Is it required to have a CDL to drive the old dogs on the road? Does PennDot require anything special?

Good luck getting ANY straight answer on that one. Everyone here(in any state) gets a different answer depending on who you talk to at their State patrol or whoever. I went round and round, then decided with all the traveling I'll do that it would be safer to have it.

If you only plan on putz'n around your home town then I wouldn't worry. If you plan on traveling far then I'd say it's more probably that you might get questioned someday.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The Law is pretty much cut and dried about what does and does not constitute a commercial vehicle. However, the way the law is enforced from one area of the country to another is a different matter. By strict definition if a vehicle is not used in Interstate or Intrastate commerce it is not a commercial vehicle. Following that line of thought, a CDL would not be necessary. Does your vehicle have air brakes? GOTCHA. Now, you may have had great success in the past sitting on the side of the road arguing with a police officer. I haven't. Peace of mind is worth a lot more than the cost involved in obtaining a CDL. There is an application fee, and there may or may not be an endorsement fee. Again, depending on where you are you may or may not have to present a current DOT physical. Check it out, study the handbook, and go get the darn thing. Then the next time you have to stop and start over, because you can't get the transmission in any gear at all, and it won't do anything but grind. You can take the CDL out of your wallet and look at it. BLAME, I must be a driver, I've got a CDL.

If you can, get your CDL.

Check with your local tech school or community collage and see if they offer a CDL course, if they do chances are you might be able to get a grant from your state so it will not cost much and will be worth the time and any money you spend.

My state paid (GA) paid for everything except the DOT physical and the exam/endorsement fees.

David

1948 Mack Pumper

If you can, get your CDL.

Check with your local tech school or community collage and see if they offer a CDL course, if they do chances are you might be able to get a grant from your state so it will not cost much and will be worth the time and any money you spend.

My state paid (GA) paid for everything except the DOT physical and the exam/endorsement fees.

David

I would recommend getting your CDL as well. Part of the requirements include a pre-trip inspection that really make you understand what your truck is doing and if there are things that can make driving more dangerous . It will likely make you a better driver, and you will definately notice bad driving habits in others (try not to mention them to your significant other while they are driving!!). It isn't cheap, but the benefits outweigh the costs - especially if it keeps you out of an accident as you get used to scanning 14 seconds in front of your vehicle.

I'm glad I got mine.

Scott

hey thanks to all you guys. I am thinking along the same lines as all of you and just getting it so I have it. I have gotten about as many answers from folks in my area as I asked. The common comment is the air brakes and if stopped that may be the deciding factor with the law.

Thanks again