e9 head gaskets

mack mhe9

If your bored come on down here I got plenty to do, when you go back together are you gonna use the ARP bolts or new Mack bolts? I checked with DF, $1600 for a set of ARP's expensive but probably worth it making 30+ psi manifold pressure, I think I can order em thru Summit cheaper I just don't know the sizes.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Just put mine back together today. Was not getting the boost that I should have (only 38 where as the turbo I put on should get 50) So I pressurized the intake from the turbo (including the turbo) to the heads. Backed off on the rocker shafts so all the valves were closed (time to reset the valves anyway) and found number one cylinder was leaking air somewhere. So decided to pull the head to find out what was going on and found one of the intake seats was loose causing the valve to move around (bad) but good that I caught it. Just happened to have a spare head at the machine shop getting redone and it was ready the next day. Funny thing is the head that went bad was the only head on the truck that was the old style valves (bigger stems) Now all the heads are the same size valve stems.

Dodged a bullet.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

Are you guys having the valve seats pressed over spec or just stock? That's actually the biggest reason I wanted to send a set to Francis since that's the cause of most E9 failures. Im gonna go with the ARP bolts if I pull my heads too I talked to a couple guys that used to break bolts all the time, they went wit the ARP bolts and haven't had a bolt or gasket issue since. Only problem with that stuff is Dale Francis is the only place I can find that does it and they are the highest machine shop I've found too.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Just stock on the seats. I asked my guy about pressing them in over spec., and he didn't know anything about it. His concern was the heads were know for cracking and he though that it would put more stress on the heads. But I'm sure it works, Dale does it so I'm sure it's been tested. Dale is the one that built my turbo. Have not had any problems with heads bolts but I don't run a lot of miles.

Live every day like it's your last, because one of these days, it will be.

• 10 years later...

I have a V-9 Mack engine and i keep blowing head gaskets out between the heads.  I had the heads reconditioned and also put new head bolts in.  Had about 6000 miles until this problem started.  Checked liners, liner height were all the same measurement before i put it together.  The ends of the heads, the gaskets are fine.  Has anyone ever had this issue? Any advice is appreciated.