Paint Touch up

So i went in the garage which hasnt dropped below 40 degrees as far as i know. I have my touch up paint for the mack in there from when i bought the truck. I used it last year and it matched perfectly (hood only lol) So i go to use it yesterday to touch things up. used a heat gun on the truck to get things just right. I open up the can and its completly gelled up i can't even get a stick to go through it. so i used a heat gun on it and nothing happened. So i leave it in room temp all night and today i go to open it up and still the same.

I go to farm and fleet to see what can be done and even called a few guys that know about paint and they said im screwed. I refused to believe it! I then thought that the only way i was going to be able to do this was to get some touch up paint (they had tefetta white, super white and frost white) i was showing the guys my old paint stains on the can to match up. they said are you sure the paint is completly solid? i said yeah watch. So i stuck my finger on it and got a few inches down then BINGO, it punctured and beautiful white paint started oozing out!!! So i get it home and put on my gloves and used a paint stirrer and got the gelled up top layer off and i got PAINT AGAIN!. It is still a little stringy but im still happy with it. Can i still go to any paint place and ask if they can shake it up for me or do i have to go to auto body shop and see what they can do? Any help would be appreciated!

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Is this a can of automotive paint that has had hardener added previously?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

i am just brushing it on, i did it the other day in the garage for touch up spots. i used a heat gun on the spots i was applying it to and the paint was stringy but i made it work. It is now sitting in the house at room temperature and will remain there. You think a bodyshop could restore the paint some?

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

i am just brushing it on, i did it the other day in the garage for touch up spots. i used a heat gun on the spots i was applying it to and the paint was stringy but i made it work. It is now sitting in the house at room temperature and will remain there. You think a bodyshop could restore the paint some?

Yea the body shop would love to get some money. Paint needs to be applied at about 75 degrees. I've used those brush paints. I really don't like them because of the stringy mess. It needs to be thinned but I don't bother. I've got to where I only use spray paints or nothing. You get more of a uniform finish if....yes if you sand and prepare the surface and also be free from silicones from waxes etc. ect. That being said, someone can be spraying silicones in the area and it will carry airborne and get into your nice paint work. I don't know how picky you are about the results of your paint finish,but you can cut a small hole in a piece of paper and spray through the paper and get a nice finish. Ya just have to experiment with stuff. Some paint and body shops can help and some will not. It can depend on how busy they are.

Regards

mike