673 To 300tip Turbine

ejensen21

Hey guys i'm restoring a 1960 b81 I want to put in a 300 tip turbine engine in place of a 673 i have the hole R model that the engines coming out of what will it take me to do this i will be taking the cab off the truck when this hole thing goes on i want to run the stock 20 speed i know that its a lot of power but i'm not going to work the truck just take it to shows but if its to much even for that i have a 2 stick 6speed and a 10speed fuller with the mack bell housing adapter how hard would it be to put one of those in could i use the R model engine and tranny mounts will the frame with be diffrent the R model is a 1977 the b81 is a tractor with 65 rear also with wet line also the b 81 has hyd power steering and deap floor pans in the cab

ok the 300 will go right in i have another ? would a two stick 6 speed out of that 77 R model bolt in out will i half to do some frame drilling . the only thing i use this truck for is weekend driving and no one else drives it thanks for all your info on this issue RC51

ok the 300 will go right in i have another ? would a two stick 6 speed out of that 77 R model bolt in out will i half to do some frame drilling . the only thing i use this truck for is weekend driving and no one else drives it thanks for all your info on this issue RC51

Yes you can use the 6 speed and i would not drill another hole in the frame back there but would build to fit the frame brackets to fit the r mondel trans mounts and you frame will last longer. You will use the old engine front cover damper and pulley and hub with the b model water pump. If you use the 6speed trhe you will have to make a reverse pull type clutch linkeage which i done in a b61 . glenn

glenn akers

Then in my opinion you should keep the quad box.

I swapped a 237 and a 300 into trucks that had quad boxes, and there were no transmission problems.

As long as you shift it smoothly and correctly there won't be a problem.

A B81 ain't a B81 unless it has a quad box.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I swapped a 237 and a 300 into trucks that had quad boxes, and there were no transmission problems.

Me and my self would use the quad untill it had to be changed and that may be a long time but that depends on how it is used.The engine will be mounted in the same place which ever trans is used. That is what i would do and the quaw dont even have to be pulled out unless it needs work done on it. Then he can use the b model flywheel and housing and clutch and linkage . glenn

glenn akers

And using the quaw box will settle the problem of top speed if the 6 speed was used top speed would be some what slower. glenn

glenn akers

And using the quaw box will settle the problem of top speed if the 6 speed was used top speed would be some what slower. glenn

Yup, running in high gear with the 6 speed will be the same as running with the quad box in 4th direct.

thanks for all the help guys the 20 speed stays i like it i just don't want to ruin it last ? for the tip turbine will i need to fab duct work to the air box i think this will be a real neet install i got it down to the frame rails and i'm getting ready to build it back up :D

thanks for all the help guys the 20 speed stays i like it i just don't want to ruin it last ? for the tip turbine will i need to fab duct work to the air box i think this will be a real neet install i got it down to the frame rails and i'm getting ready to build it back up :D

Check this out, this is how Matt Pfahl hooked it up on his B61:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?aut...si&img=2371

Check this out, this is how Matt Pfahl hooked it up on his B61:

http://www.bigmacktrucks.com/index.php?aut...si&img=2371

I put a late model engine in my b61 and then installed a air/air cooler on the front and it makes big difference in HP but the trouble with a B61 is you can get enough air across the rad. because you cant get rid of it under the hood because ever thing is so tight to the engine and trans so i lifted the cab 3" and move ahead 3" and installed a fan clutch that used a bigger fan that would pull more air. The bmodel fan would not pull enough air. Now the air can get out of the hood area around the back of the engine. For a toy truck it will not matter but we was pulling a trailer loaded all time and up in the co. mountains you could not stay in it untill i changed things. now you can mash on your motor allday. The fan is still too noisey to think. glenn

glenn akers

as long as its trq72 it will bolt right up

i

had a cat against a trt720 and hauled bannas from del to buffalo with a b75

the only diff youll find is the crank hub sticks out towards the radiator about an ainch farther

in the b61 iran the 673 hub but you can machine the 300 hub shorter or set the motor back in the chassis

buy the way you cant use the 67 or smaller series trans