How Much Is It Worth?

I found a 1963 Mack B61 with a Concaved cab, a 673 engine and a duplex tranmission. The truck has 221,000 miles and the cab had been painted, the frame looks good too. I did notice that the emblems on the hood are missing. I did e-mail the owner for more information.

Here is the link: http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail....219684E45474D56

How much do you think its worth? Hes asking $6,000.00.

How much do you think its worth? Hes asking $6,000.00.

Wow! That is the hardest question to answer in the world of old trucks. About once a month someone posts that question about a truck. The answer is: What is it worth to you. either as a seller or buyer. The old truck/classic truck market is not like the classic car market (and I hope it never is!). Do you really want the truck? Do you have 5,000.00 or 6,000.00 to spend on the truck?

I gave 300.00 for my near basket case 1964 B61, which was probably a steal considering the history I personally had with the truck, I had driven it as a kid, my dad drove it and my father-in-law drove it. I got my Mack F Model free with a just broke-in and very strong running ENDT711. Now I am looking at a 1974 R795LST that has been rolled. He wants 2500.00 for it. Is it worth 2500.00? My wife says NO! I think it is, if it is still available when I have the extra 2500.00 I will probably buy it.

You need more info on the truck, be nice to see the VIN, close ups of the frame, engine, tires & such. Better pics of the body, to see the body work. This might be a 1,000.00 truck with a 5,000.00 paint job. It is easier if you know someone who know OLD trucks, not just trucks.

I know this is a long reply without a real answer. I have learned through the years to walk away from something I really want, sleep on it, then go back. If it still looks real good, go for it!

T.

I looked at this ad myself, and thought it looked pretty good.

In general I agree with the question "what is it worth to you?"

Although there are still cheap or "free" trucks out there - complete basket cases are

worth $2,000 or more, and they usually don't run. And this is no basket case, according to the photos.

Depending on how you would use the truck, you might be able to leave it "as is".

If you will be satisfied with the truck the way that it is - then it may be a good buy.

And you can probably have a lot of fun with it, without a lot of financial risk.

If this is a good solid, straight and healthy B61, I would think that $6,000.00 might be a fair price.

Especially if you are close to Boston. Getting it home, if you are a long ways away, can be expensive.

Good Luck,

Paul Van Scott

The truck looks good. Needs a few cosmetic things like emblems (which I have priced and seem to be expensive, if anyone knows a good place to buy let me know) and battery box lids. Interior looks really clean. If the engine and transmission are in good shape I would say its a fair price.

The truck looks good. Needs a few cosmetic things like emblems (which I have priced and seem to be expensive, if anyone knows a good place to buy let me know) and battery box lids. Interior looks really clean. If the engine and transmission are in good shape I would say its a fair price.

I would not disagree with anything said so far. I always tend to be a little "leary" of unfinished projects such as something with new paint, and missing small items. This can be indicative of someone in over their head, or loss of interest due to timeframe and/or monetary obligations. The ornamentation will be very expensive to acquire if it is totally missing.

This truck, (to me) appears to be dolled up for a quick sale with the classic "Dupont Overhaul". It is also located at a dealership of sorts. A person that wants to sell something that they have a personal interest in goes out of their way to inform you of what the truck looked like before the paint was applied, and why it was repainted. They surely would not want to market the item missing a lot of the small parts. Even poor originals are a postive selling point and beat nothing. The ad as I remember lists nothing about any missing parts.

Looking at the pictures of the truck posted, and thinking of the price asked for it: It would not be in your best interest to purchase this item without your own eyes on it, or someone trusted in the evaluation process. As an example: I charge $60.00 per 1/2 hour to evaluate used, or second hand vehicles for prospective buyers in my locale. Most dealerships and resellers do not like me straight out. I find problems, some intentionally hidden, some legitimately wear items. I then give the prospective purchaser a signed form of the evaluation listing all deficiencies found. Also listed are positive attributes. It would be prudent before laying down the funds, (and the prospective future funds to complete the project) to hire a third party inspector at a reasonable price to do the inspection if you cannot. If I were closer to this unit, I would "donate" the inspection to help support this hobby.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. The asking price is not out of line if this unit is an honest truck, and it is what you are looking for. New paint can hide a lot of flaws to the untrained eye and I like to think my 33 years in the autobody repair business has taught me a couple of things.

Best of luck with your decision!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.