trl1078 upgrade

bed truck

i have a trl1078 that is currently on its last legs, i would like to upgrade to gain some more top end speed. its behind a 287 maxidyne. my top speed is maybe 55 empty. am happy with the rearends but need to a go a little faster, it also has a 1241 brownie. I use it in the oilfield in north dakota, not a lot of hills but with the brownie should give me enough to pull the heavey loads. if anyone is in north dakota for long they would appreciate me going a little faster need some help, was just reading on some other posts, would a t2050 be a good option?

Edited by bed truck

what would really be ideal with your set up would be one of the old air shift 7 speeds,not a T2070,I can't think of the model # right now,but they were an .78 overdrive,you split the top 2 gears,but they also had reverse on the knob so you had 5 reverse gears,like a 6 or 12 speed.They are pretty hard to find.

If you aren't worried about staying all Mack,a cheap way to go would be a RTO12513,with the 1241 behind it you'd have all kind of gears to use,I'm not up on my Fuller's but I think they have a .86 overdrive

What is your rear end ratio. A common set up was a 285/6speed and 4.17 rear ratio. Good for 62mph. A mack10,12,or 13 speed would work with those rears. Eaton 8LL would also work good

Being Oilfield probably 6 something or 7 something. Alot of those bed trucks have big Planetary rears. But being in the pic it isn't a twin steer or tall it probably has 44's or bigger and 5 or 6 something rears.

ya they are 6:34s and i have tall rubber, use it for a haul truck, i think the rear end are 54000lbs,i wpould like to keep it mack, found out today the pto on the older macks wont bolt up to an eaton, holst truck repair in idaho fall was telling me i would have swap bell housings also, found a 9,10,and a 12 speed in riverton wy from a guy whos worked on these oilfield trucks for some 30yrs, he thinks the 10 would be best so im learning thanks for the help, sure like the truck its been good to me for the last five yrs