Lo Profile Air Ride Suspension:

Rob

Has anyone either seen, or heard of an air ride, drop frame van with a sliding tandem? I'm wanting to purchase a used lo profile sliding air ride setup for building a trailer. I could also use a bit more storage hence the request. I've never seen such an animal myself and do not know if they exist or not.

Thanks for any input!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

My guess is that a sliding tandem axle air ride unit from a low step deck might be the same as what you are looking for.

Most often the step decks are spread axles, but some, particularly the hinged tail trailers, do have sliding tandems.

Also, I think this set-up is used on the Landoll sliding axle trailers.

Might be rare to find one used, though.

It probably would not be hard to fabricate the air ride, if you had a spring suspension tandem trailer axle set set and some air ride parts.

One bit of concern - the tubeless 17.5" tires commonly used on the low ride axles very rarely make it to "worn-out".

These tires do not seem to last very long. And they can be expensive.

For whatever reason, the 15" tires seem to do better. You might want to ask around about this, to confirm.

I'll keep my eyes open.

Paul Van Scott

Rob,

My guess is that a sliding tandem axle air ride unit from a low step deck might be the same as what you are looking for.

Most often the step decks are spread axles, but some, particularly the hinged tail trailers, do have sliding tandems.

Also, I think this set-up is used on the Landoll sliding axle trailers.

Might be rare to find one used, though.

It probably would not be hard to fabricate the air ride, if you had a spring suspension tandem trailer axle set set and some air ride parts.

One bit of concern - the tubeless 17.5" tires commonly used on the low ride axles very rarely make it to "worn-out".

These tires do not seem to last very long. And they can be expensive.

For whatever reason, the 15" tires seem to do better. You might want to ask around about this, to confirm.

I'll keep my eyes open.

Paul Van Scott

Hi Paul, I'm only wanting to go with used parts as much as possible to keep the costs in reason. I don't require something new for my personal use. The trailer will only be used to haul and park my antiques on. I do want air ride so I can "dump" the air on the rear axle to save on tire scrub to prolong their service life. I may even design a lift axle as the weight will be minimal compared to capacity.

I purchased nine 9RX17.5 lo boy tires from a tire shop where they were obsoleted. I do not have rims so Budd, or Dayton style hubs are not a factor as either will work. A friend of mine has a Muvall trailer and runs 8.25X15 tires and swears by them. Reluctantly, he has to purchase Korean manufactured tires as the size is obsoleted in this country, (for the most part). Running tube type tires never really mattered to me but I got these relatively inexpensively.

If I could locate a furniture moving van with a sliding tandem, it would make a great donor for both a storage shed, and running gear. As I mentioned earlier, I've never seen one set up like this and don't know if it's a viable request.

I've looked at all the usual places to find a used stepdeck or single drop trailer and the prices even for ones that are worn out seem quite expensive, (to me). I want something built that I can count on for 20 or so years given my limited usage, with a 25 ton capacity. I spoke at length with a manufacturer in N.C. and they would build the trailer for me it I supply the undercarriage. Time is an increasingly difficult commodity for me to find and I know this would take more of it than can be afforded.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 2 years later...

Hi Paul, I'm only wanting to go with used parts as much as possible to keep the costs in reason. I don't require something new for my personal use. The trailer will only be used to haul and park my antiques on. I do want air ride so I can "dump" the air on the rear axle to save on tire scrub to prolong their service life. I may even design a lift axle as the weight will be minimal compared to capacity.

I purchased nine 9RX17.5 lo boy tires from a tire shop where they were obsoleted. I do not have rims so Budd, or Dayton style hubs are not a factor as either will work. A friend of mine has a Muvall trailer and runs 8.25X15 tires and swears by them. Reluctantly, he has to purchase Korean manufactured tires as the size is obsoleted in this country, (for the most part). Running tube type tires never really mattered to me but I got these relatively inexpensively.

If I could locate a furniture moving van with a sliding tandem, it would make a great donor for both a storage shed, and running gear. As I mentioned earlier, I've never seen one set up like this and don't know if it's a viable request.

I've looked at all the usual places to find a used stepdeck or single drop trailer and the prices even for ones that are worn out seem quite expensive, (to me). I want something built that I can count on for 20 or so years given my limited usage, with a 25 ton capacity. I spoke at length with a manufacturer in N.C. and they would build the trailer for me it I supply the undercarriage. Time is an increasingly difficult commodity for me to find and I know this would take more of it than can be afforded.

Thanks,

Rob

Check truckpaper...

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2303472

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2432528

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2421516

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2246954

:thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!