Hooking up satellite radio

Just wondering if any of you guys in R models are running satellite radio and how hard is it to hook up? I am looking at getting a new headunit. The things i need it to have are the aux port on front, and 3 preouts . I was thinknig of hooking up a subwoofer/bassbox under the passenger seat area of my R. Has anyone done this or know where i can get pictures?

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Are you planning purchase or do you have a remote satellite receiver? If so all you need is an auxilary port in your new radio. Purchase an auxiliary cord and plug it in to the satellite receiver cradle and radio AUX port. You will need to connect power and satellite antenna to the satellite receiver cradle. Put your radio on "AUX" and you are good to go! I have this setup in my MH. I move my SIRIUS Sportster 4 receiver from vehicle to vehicle. In each vehicle I have mounted a cradle, power supply, antenna, and appropriate cables.

If you are planning something different, post it here and I will try to help.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

So sat. radio is basically a subscription and it is hooked up through the aux ports. Its as simple as that? Do i need to get a special antennae and take off the headliner and run the wire up through the cab and do any drilling? Ideally what i would want my setup to be is to have sat. radio and then when i am not using it i would use my android and stream music and have that hooked up through the aux port. I would like to replace the speakers with either the same size or maybe a 6.5 inch but not sure if it would fit. I did this in my old 87 R . went from 5 1/4 to 6 1/2 but on the old truck there was no Mack grill that went over the speakers. So maybe i could still make it work. Then if i could i would like to get a kicker bass box that goes under the passenger seat but i am not sure if it would even do enough. Does this all sound doeable to you? Thank you for your help so far.

This is what i am looking at so far but i would like more opinions or choices.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD3620/Jensen-Heavy-Duty-JHD3620.html?tp=5684

And here is what i found for the bass box that i think would be sweet under my passenger seat or even mounted right behind the driver seat

http://www.kicker.com/Hideaway

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

I looked at the Crutchfield link and the receiver. Are you planning to purchase the 607SCC1 SIRIUS tuner? If you are planning to purchase the 607SCVDOC1 dock kit you will need a receiver (Sportster 4 or 5), Both connect to the back of the radio (8 pin connector) leaving the AUX port open. You will need a subscription for either one. Just know that you will not easily be able to move the tuner to another vehicle. As for the satellite antenna, it needs to be in full view of the sky. Either on the dash or on the outside. The SAT antenna has a magnetic base so you can stick it on the roof and run the antenna wire inside to the cradle or tuner. I have my SAT antenna mounted on the dash since the MH does not have metal skin.

Hopefully this info helps.

Ken

Are you planning purchase or do you have a remote satellite receiver? If so all you need is an auxilary port in your new radio. Purchase an auxiliary cord and plug it in to the satellite receiver cradle and radio AUX port. You will need to connect power and satellite antenna to the satellite receiver cradle. Put your radio on "AUX" and you are good to go! I have this setup in my MH. I move my SIRIUS Sportster 4 receiver from vehicle to vehicle. In each vehicle I have mounted a cradle, power supply, antenna, and appropriate cables.

If you are planning something different, post it here and I will try to help.

I have a remote receiver with the power and the antenna plugged into the cradle. What would be the advantage if I were to run an aux cable to the in-dash radio?

Jim

I have a remote satelite radio. My truck doesn't have the aux hookup, so I use radio frequency. It is pretty easy to do. I love my espn radio in the mornings!

Buy an antenna splitter that goes between the radio and the radio antenna. There is a cable that goes to the satellite cradle. This will eliminate any interference with a public radio station broadcasting on or near the same frequency. Depending on your radio antenna connections, you may need to buy cable adapters. You can usually get this stuff cheap on Amazon.

http://shop.siriusxm.com/xm/ctl10600/cp49750/si4263737/cl1/fm_direct_adapter_for_powerconnect_vehicle_kits

Ken

I have a remote receiver with the power and the antenna plugged into the cradle. What would be the advantage if I were to run an aux cable to the in-dash radio?

You eliminate public radio interference. Direct auxiliary connection will give you slighty better sound. If you have an AUX jack on your radio, I would recommend the direct AUX connection over the "broadcast". Otherwise if you do not have an AUX jack, the radio antenna adapter is the way to go (see other post).

Ken

You eliminate public radio interference. Direct auxilliary connection will give you slighty better sound. If you have an AUC jack on your radio, I would recommend the direct AUX connection over the "broadcast". Otherwise if you do not have an AUX jack, the radio antenna adapter is the way to go (see other post).

Thanks, good timing too. The Sterling I had been driving has been retired so I no longer have the option of simply reaching under the dash and unplugging the antenna. The antenna in the truck that appears to be my "new" ride (brand shall remain nameless) is not accessible without removing the radio so I was going to go the splitter route. The stereo has 2 aux jacks so it looks like that's the way to go, improved sound will be a bonus. It's a great sounding radio as it is but then again, I don't have very high standards

• Like 1

Jim

I agree with farmer52.Where possible,use the direct auxillary connection.The earlier units put out a stronger signal (to pick up on your FM frequency).These newer units don't seem to have that capability.So,the direct connection is best,in my book.....................my .02!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

• 9 years later...

Does anyone know if a 2023 granite comes pre wired with a sat antenna? The head unit installed from factory is not sirius, but I have a separate sat radio to hook up and was hoping they are pre wired with the sat antenna so I don't have to use my mirror mount antenna.