how much would it cost to import a used australian mack ?

I don't think "cost" should be your first question...

Can I assume you are looking at a recent production truck?... if you wish to licence it and use it commercially it will need to be in compliance with all regulations for emissions and FMVSS... for instance, will it meet US standards for brakes, lighting, crash protection.. and on it goes. The manufacturer will be able to enlighten you what it will take in modifications to conform.. You need that door sticker.

This provision is actually for public health & safety, well egr hmmmm, but does stop crap 'asian' tires etc posing hazards to other motorists and I have no problems with big brother doing that, keeps food safe too.

there are some loopholes though... one is homebuilt, bring in 'scrap' and 'modify' a frame with a US VIN... also, many "grey market" cars have slipped in over the years but they risk customs seizure at the docks... there is also provision for "antique" which is, IIRC, a rolling 25 years in the US.... take a comparison of all the British double deck buses you see, they enter under that provision and just need lighting and passenger safety mods but are used commercially. So, that might be an avenue for you.

One blocker is insurance... who will underwrite a non standard type.

Purchase prices are high in Oz from what I have seen, and freight cost?

Here in Canada we have had a few strange vehicles slip in, buses have severe limits (protectionism) but I read a thread on Hank's forum that there is an operator of Scania cabovers

The last thing that you need worry about is the steering wheel position..

then you can calculate "cost"...!!!!

Hope this helps you, I've found talking to officials can be frustrating as they all have their opinion of vaguely written rules... but if you really want to do it also consider NZ as a potential source of vehicles.

BC Mack

thanks for the info and advice. the pricetags on the australian and nz trucks are really high. like 160k for a 2007 so i guess its a unlikely purchase. i was thinking of older because i could conver the steering wheel with a older model say late 90s because of the old ch and cl style interiors were universal i think. i know our cl have a cut out in the passenger side where the steering mechanism would go on foreign trucks. food for thought i think