Help! '74 RL700L puking fuel from number 4 cylinder

Hi I'm new to the forum. Got a real problem. Our '74 log self-loader is blowing fuel out of cylinder 4. Sooty fuel is dripping out the manifold and there's enough smoke to hide the truck from anyone behind it. At higher RPMs the engine starts popping real good. We pulled the injector and its soaking wet. Anyone seen this before or have suggestions on where to start? Hoping its not terminal. Thanks for any ideas! Will work on photos but only have dial-up out here so it takes a while...

IT MAY HAVE BLOWN OFF A INJECTOR TIP...IF IT IS A BOSH INJECTOR JUST SWAP IT INTO A DIFFRENT HOLE AND FIRE IT UP. IF THE OTHER HOLE IS SPEWING ITS LIKELY THE INJECTOR. IF IT DOES NOT THEN I WOULD SAY SOMETHING IN THE PUMP...

Look at the tip when you pull the injector and make sure it looks okay.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

When you say bent is it worn to the point that it can touch the housing or do you just feel a little free play? can you tell id any oil is leaking out the exhaust side or intake side? I put a turbo on my truck from a junk blown engine . cost me less than $50. lots of the old engines just sitting around. hard part is finding one that was not kept out in the rain with the boot off the turbo so water did not get in.

Turbo should not be the reason for excess fuel. Is the smoke white, blue, or black? I still would recommend pulling the injector and looking at the tip. If the tip looks okay, swap it with another cylinder and see what happens.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Did look at the tip and its intact. We were going to switch injectors as suggested when we noticed the turbo probelem. The central shaft is bent so the fans on each side scrape the housing. Thinking we may have more than one problem and the turbo is the first place to start. Smoke is all colors but mostly black.

If the shaft hits the housing then it's worn or broken bushing and seals shot. Find a new turbo before it snaps the shaft,runs away on the oil, leaves you stranded,or all of the above..black smoke is likely that you have no boost. The puff limiter needs to see about 15psi if I remember correctly to give full fuel. The limiter just delays delivery. Once it's spooled up and above 15psi your foot controls the fuel amount. If you can't build more than 15 psi or the puff is unhooked it will be dumping to much fuel with to little boost. That's where the black comes from. As for white that can be oil or poorly burned fuel.

If the shaft is bent there would be instant disintegration. I'm thinking very worn bushes. Once it spins up probably just acceptable. Check for leaks between turbo and inlet manifold, particularly the hoses. These cause serious black smoke.