Replacement Clutch For The Triplex - Updated

ThaddeusW

Ok so I separated the transmission and removed the clutch. Apparently Mice made a nice cozy home in the bell housing, had to clean it out. There is 5/32" of lining left on the clutch plate so I don't know how much wear there is. Where do you find a replacement clutch if necessary? Also the flywheel has allot of small cracks in the face not deep but there are allot of them and the all seem to point/run inward toward the center. No cracks on the pressure plate though. Although there is bluing on some parts of the pressure plate face.

post-314-1189214562_thumb.jpg

Looks like the cracks are from thermal stress or creep. I just hope it wont lead to failure in the form of an exploding flywheel.

You can see them better in negative:

post-314-1189215178_thumb.jpg

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I would assume you can get the clutch parts pretty easily. The thickness of the disc should be available too. Though if I was going thru all this I would put all new in it anyway. I'd remove the flywheel and have it ground, and see how it cleans up. As long as the cracks aren't deep, I wouldn't worry too much. Should be able to grind most of them out.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Heat checking, like this is common. You are probably looking at $75.00 to $100.00, to have it resurfaced. If you are going to fabricate an engine stand to mount the engine and transmission to start and run. and will only use it for something like show and tell. You would probably be better off in the long run, just to clean everything up and put it back together as is. It would be a different story, if you are planning to use it in a truck application. In that case, a NEW CLUTCH, not a new rebuilt clutch, is the way to go. YOU CANNOT BUY ANYTHING BETTER THAN A SPICER. If you just can't find new. Felton's Clutch Service, Chattanooga Tn. can rebuild yours.

Heat checking, like this is common. You are probably looking at $75.00 to $100.00, to have it resurfaced. If you are going to fabricate an engine stand to mount the engine and transmission to start and run. and will only use it for something like show and tell. You would probably be better off in the long run, just to clean everything up and put it back together as is. It would be a different story, if you are planning to use it in a truck application. In that case, a NEW CLUTCH, not a new rebuilt clutch, is the way to go. YOU CANNOT BUY ANYTHING BETTER THAN A SPICER. If you just can't find new. Felton's Clutch Service, Chattanooga Tn. can rebuild yours.

I have used some that was not that good. that flywheel is hard to come by I would grind it some but dont try to take the cracks out but enough to clean up and that is for a mack push type clutch and that is not good for much horse power like a hot end 675 or 676 unless it is 2 plate. this was common in there day because if they were not adjusted when need be they would slip and get hot. glenn

glenn akers